1947 model 45 rear end and wheel bearing questions

’m currently in the process of restoring a model 45 that hasbeen sitting in our fire departments storage for quite some time. I’ve had to completely remove and  disassemble every component of the braking system due to leaks and corrosion issues in the hydraulic components. In doing this, I obviously had to remove all the wheel assemblies. When I popped the passenger rear axle loose, a small amount of gear oil ran out. I popped the axle back in and proceeded to drain the gear oil. I removed the fill plug first and stuck my finger in the hole and didn’t get any fluid. I pulled the drain plug and got about 4quarts out of the chunk. I removed the axles and wheel assemblies and found that the bearings were packed with bearing grease, but there was also gear oil mixed in with thegrease. My question is, were the rear wheel bearings originally wet bearings or did someone previously pack the bearings with grease by mistake? I also need to know thetype of gear oil used in the rear end. Thank you for any helpyou might be able to provide.

4A2A8E7D-F8BD-4816-B999-4B86B78F5236.jpeg

A0C96514-849F-45E5-B6E7-8743A12F65DE.jpeg

1FB652DF-60D7-4A74-8379-FDC8C7C1F78C.jpeg

Some of the early mack wheel bearings had a inner seal to separate inner and outer bearings, the inner was packed with grease and the outer run in gear oil. most guys just knocked out the inner seal and run oil in both bearings.    terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, terry said:

Some of the early mack wheel bearings had a inner seal to separate inner and outer bearings, the inner was packed with grease and the outer run in gear oil. most guys just knocked out the inner seal and run oil in both bearings.    terry:MackLogo:

Thanks for the info!

• 1 month later...