Valve lash

I did a search and found a thread that lists 16thou intake and 24thou exhaust for a 676. Sounds reasonable but just want to confirm that this are the proper settings for a 1981 E6-350. Since the valves pretty much straddle the manifold ports it is not obvious as to which are int and which are exh but i am assuming that the ones with the big honking jam nut and some goofy looking centre with a snap ring are the exhaust, is this correct?. 

9 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

I did a search and found a thread that lists 16thou intake and 24thou exhaust for a 676. Sounds reasonable but just want to confirm that this are the proper settings for a 1981 E6-350. Since the valves pretty much straddle the manifold ports it is not obvious as to which are int and which are exh but i am assuming that the ones with the big honking jam nut and some goofy looking centre with a snap ring are the exhaust, is this correct?. 

Yup ! That is the engine brake slave! 24thou!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Licensed to kill said:

And 16 intake?

yup if its a 4 valve there is two pointers valve set pointer and a timing pointer Be  careful to use the correct pointer 

Edited by fjh

It is a 2 valve. Te harmonic balancer has a scale starting with "TC" and going up to 35 degrees. I assume "TC" means "top centre". Then there are the marks at 120 degree intervals marked for 2&5 and 3&4 for setting those valves. I have it set on "TC" with #6 rocking and #1 with lash so that should be #1 TDC firing. As it sits, exhaust is pretty close to 24thou but the intake is tight by a few thou. 

20 minutes ago, Licensed to kill said:

It is a 2 valve. Te harmonic balancer has a scale starting with "TC" and going up to 35 degrees. I assume "TC" means "top centre". Then there are the marks at 120 degree intervals marked for 2&5 and 3&4 for setting those valves. I have it set on "TC" with #6 rocking and #1 with lash so that should be #1 TDC firing. As it sits, exhaust is pretty close to 24thou but the intake is tight by a few thou. 

Your on the right track Move in firing order to the next cyls! not unusual to have the odd tight one! Push down on the exhaust adjuster to get the oil out I usually break the  jam nut loose turn the adjuster tight  down then back it off one half turn then set with the 24 !this gets all the oil out of the slave and avoids a false set!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

Valve cover gaskets are a pain on these ! When you put your new gaskets on clean the the gasket surface on the lid to a shine buy some  edlbrock Gasket  cinch/ contact cement . coat the valve cover and gasket once with the contact cement let it it go off then coat them again let it go off then stick the gasket on to the cover put the cover on the engine DRI don't use any sealer  dri and clean only!  

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

Any thoughts on adjusting the dynatard switches in the valve covers??. I had to remove them to blast/paint the covers and I broke one off. Was able to get the broke piece out of the cover and have a line on a replacement (from the guy I got the engine from) but can get a new one if needed. Because they were removed they will need to be reset but i have no clue how. 

18 hours ago, Licensed to kill said:

Any thoughts on adjusting the dynatard switches in the valve covers??. I had to remove them to blast/paint the covers and I broke one off. Was able to get the broke piece out of the cover and have a line on a replacement (from the guy I got the engine from) but can get a new one if needed. Because they were removed they will need to be reset but i have no clue how. 

nope no tricks for that dilemma