Any One From Chicago, Il

Hi, I got my info on my truck from the Mack musem, The truck was bought new by Lowel E Lantz, from chicago IL. I was wondering if any one from there would know what this truck started out as. If any one would know drop me a line. ( Trent, are you listening? Ha,ha) thanks

Fred :SMOKIE-LFT:

15 gears...no waiting!

Hi Fred

I will ask around as I am friends with some people that work in the big name companys out here ie Greco, Palumbo, Lindahl

the name sounds fimmilar so you might be in luck.

I bought 2 Chicago B models one was a Reliable wrecking Co and the other was a Cellie trucking. both had many of rough miles on them so I can feel you pain as to the condition yours is in...LOL

Trent :MackLogo:

Hi Fred

I will ask around as I am friends with some people that work in the big name companys out here ie Greco, Palumbo, Lindahl

the name sounds fimmilar so you might be in luck.

I bought 2 Chicago B models one was a Reliable wrecking Co and the other was a Cellie trucking. both had many of rough miles on them so I can feel you pain as to the condition yours is in...LOL

Trent :MackLogo:

Thanks for the vote of confidence Trent, I think my truck has been fixed up once and is needing it again, the doors and fenders are rust free, but the cab sure wasn't. It must have escaped the windy city at some time, I bought it in Decatur IL. Thanks

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the vote of confidence Trent, I think my truck has been fixed up once and is needing it again, the doors and fenders are rust free, but the cab sure wasn't.  It must have escaped the windy city at some time, I bought it in Decatur IL. Thanks

Fred

Was it the one listed on Ebay sometime back, in Decatur? I live near there, about about fell over when I saw it as being in Decatur. Not many Bs around this neck of the woods anymore.

Was it the one listed on Ebay sometime back, in Decatur?  I live near there, about about fell over when I saw it as being in Decatur.  Not many Bs around this neck of the woods anymore.

Yep, thats the one.

I had been looking for one close to home for a long time. I was very learry of buying a truck off of ebay, but all in all I believe I got a good one. I got to drive down alot of roads with the grass growing down the middle to get home. About 150 miles of Illinois and Indiana back roads. You wouldn't know anyting about the previous owners?

15 gears...no waiting!

Yep, thats the one.

I had been looking for one close to home for a long time. I was very learry of buying a truck off of ebay, but all in all I believe I got a good one. I got to drive down alot of roads with the grass growing down the middle to get home. About 150 miles of Illinois and Indiana back roads. You wouldn't know anyting about the previous owners?

No, I know nothing of the previous owner. The background in the Ebay photos seemed familar but I couldn't put an exact location on them.

The last B model I know of selling off a dealers lot here was the last one, or nearly the last one General Cartage had, a B-61 tandem with a 673 and Duplex and still in dark green paint. It was sold in about 1977 by the local GMC dealer, H.A. Kuhle Co. My wife's cousin bought it for $2500, painted it black and put it under a lowboy to haul his Cat crawlers. I think he still has it.

It is good to hear you had a good Ebay experience. I've bought and sold items there for the past 3 or 4 years. As you probably know the sellers and buyers with good feed back are OK, its the ones with multiple bad feed back hits you have to be wary of.

Grassy center back roads......reminds me of my father and I when he bought used farm equipment back in the '60s. The old '49 Ford F6 was always overloaded (license) and I got to know the back roads around here pretty well. Had to steer clear of the old iron bridges....

No, I know nothing of the previous owner.  The background in the Ebay photos seemed familar but I couldn't put an exact location on them. 

The last B model I know of selling off a dealers lot here was the last one, or nearly the last one General Cartage had, a B-61 tandem with a 673 and Duplex and still in dark green paint. It was sold in about 1977 by the local GMC dealer, H.A. Kuhle Co.  My wife's cousin bought it for $2500, painted it black and put it under a lowboy to haul his Cat crawlers.  I think he still has it.

It is good to hear you had a good Ebay experience.  I've bought and sold items there for the past 3 or 4 years.  As you probably know the sellers and buyers with good feed back are OK, its the ones with multiple bad feed back hits you have to be wary of. 

Grassy center back roads......reminds me of my father and I when he bought used farm equipment  back in the '60s.  The old '49 Ford F6 was always overloaded (license) and I got to know the back roads around here pretty well.  Had to steer clear of the old iron bridges....

Hi,

Where I got the truck was about a block off of the main hiway that went in front of the firestone plant ( kinda looked like it was shut down ) the street was directly across from the main entrance on a dead end street, the guy I got it from had a freight terminal there that looked like he auctioned off everything, He didnt look to old, and he said he had more interrest in his drag car than the truck.

15 gears...no waiting!

Hi,

Where I got the truck was about a block off of the main hiway that went in front of the firestone plant ( kinda looked like it was shut down ) the street was directly across from the main entrance on a dead end street, the guy I got it from had a freight terminal there that looked like he auctioned off everything, He didnt look to old, and he said he had more interrest in his drag car than the truck.

:lol: a few years back if I would have had to make a choice, I probably would have went with the drag car, but now I would definitly choose the big trucks!! ( even though they cost more than my hot rods ever did) :lol: Doug

:lol:  a few years back if I would have had to make a choice, I probably would have went with the drag car, but now I would definitly choose the big trucks!! ( even though they cost more than my hot rods ever did) :lol:  Doug

yep doug I did the drag car thing too once.... drag cars then, street classic cars, then 4x4 trucks,then restorations, then old tractors now old macks... whats next, bulldozers????? :mack1:

15 gears...no waiting!

yep doug I did the drag car thing too once....  drag cars then, street classic cars, then 4x4 trucks,then restorations, then old tractors now old macks... whats next, bulldozers????? :mack1:

:D got the begainings of the next phase (bulldozers) I'll post them in my photo gallery, check it out! then there is the old blade, and the haul truck, I have a never ending supply of projects if I want to persue them LOL Doug ;):lol:

:D got the begainings of the next phase (bulldozers) I'll post them in my photo gallery,  check it out! then there is the old blade, and the haul truck, I have a never ending supply of  projects if I want to persue them LOL  Doug ;):lol:

OH no its true, the next big thing.... bulldozers.... I supose I will have to get a lowboy trailer now to go with the truck. HA HA....

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

Hi,

Fred,

Yeah, I know the area where your B model was sitting in the photos......dead end road, never had any call to drive back in there but have always noticed truck traffic coming out of there onto 22nd St.

You are correct about the Firestone plant on 22nd St (IL 121). It is shut down and up for sale. It was unfairly a victim of the Ford/Firestone tire failure lawsuit fiasco a few years back. They'll say otherwise, but that plant was one of their most productive USA facilities until some people neglected to check their tire pressures with any frequency.

Lots of manufacturing space available in Decatur right now. Oh yeah, there is even a malleable and gray iron foundry that'll be shuttered by the end of the year.