Check your coolant:

Rob

Serious note here but mechanic friend of mine in Rochester, NY has had several cases of premixed anti freeze coagulating and plugging cooling systems. I'm told in each case it has been traced to "premix" coolant of several brands and vendors. I don't know if this is an isolated geographic scenario, or nationwide, but he tells me there have been several cases in their area. Not seen it myself but I really don't work on vehicles much any longer and never did purchase "premix" anything.

Just relaying.

Rob

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• Rob changed the title to Check your coolant:
3 minutes ago, Rob said:

Serious note here but mechanic friend of mine in Rochester, NY has had several cases of premixed anti freeze coagulating and plugging cooling systems. I'm told in each case it has been traced to "premix" coolant of several brands and vendors. I don't know if this is an isolated geographic scenario, or nationwide, but he tells me there have been several cases in their area. Not seen it myself but I really don't work on vehicles much any longer and never did purchase "premix" anything.

Just relaying.

Rob

I never turn the heater control on the dash all the way to either side, hot or cold. I'll turn it all the way in summer, but if I turn the heat off now it takes forever for the heater to blow warm air again, and if I turn the heat all the way off I'll still be burning up unless I open a window. 

And there are several more trucks that are the same way, the mechanic at the shop said it was because the red antifreeze gummed the heater valve up.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Most of the "red" colored coolant is a propylene glycol based material and it does get "gummy" if allowed contact with air such as a leak or ill fitting radiator cap. I've seen that several times myself.

My opinion but it's still hard to beat an ethylene glycol/distilled water mix in either a 50/50, or 60/40 mix, (extreme cold).

The original "DexCool" marketed by GM was a heater core plugging SOB for a lot of years and we changed a lot of cores a few years back because of it. I understand the formulation has been changed/altered and I've not seen the product fail in several years now.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.