MP7 Disappearing oil

mdrake67

I have a 2012 Mack CXU613 with MP7 and it has a drinking problem.  I have oil disappearing, no visible leaks, nothing on the ground under it while it sits but if you don't keep a close eye on it you will run out of oil.  Its not burning it or at least not showing it out the stacks.  Anybody had this issue or know what to even start checking. 

On 1/27/2021 at 11:40 AM, mdrake67 said:

I have a 2012 Mack CXU613 with MP7 and it has a drinking problem.  I have oil disappearing, no visible leaks, nothing on the ground under it while it sits but if you don't keep a close eye on it you will run out of oil.  Its not burning it or at least not showing it out the stacks.  Anybody had this issue or know what to even start checking. 

Some oil consumption is normal between oil changes. How much oil is disappearing? From what it sounds like you have a part failure somewhere. 

If no visible leaks are found you could check the air compressor. If you see oil in the air tanks then that would be a good place to start. Could also be piston rings, valve guides/seals or the turbo. If you see oil in the coolant then that can indicate a bad engine oil cooler. Usually the exhaust aftertreatment will clean things up for a while but that would lead to damaging the particulate filter. Hope this helps.

V

• Like 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 3:52 PM, Vmac3 said:

Some oil consumption is normal between oil changes. How much oil is disappearing? From what it sounds like you have a part failure somewhere. 

If no visible leaks are found you could check the air compressor. If you see oil in the air tanks then that would be a good place to start. Could also be piston rings, valve guides/seals or the turbo. If you see oil in the coolant then that can indicate a bad engine oil cooler. Usually the exhaust aftertreatment will clean things up for a while but that would lead to damaging the particulate filter. Hope this helps.

V

So driving it for 3-4 hrs straight at hwy speed it will use about a gallon of oil, however if you drive it locally with lots of idle time you can run it all day and maybe lose a half a gallon

55 minutes ago, mdrake67 said:

So driving it for 3-4 hrs straight at hwy speed it will use about a gallon of oil, however if you drive it locally with lots of idle time you can run it all day and maybe lose a half a gallon

If its burning it you will soon be forced to find out where its going ,as as mentioned the DPF will clog ,it should be doing frequent regens at this point! Soot level will go thru the roof and you will be parked!

Just my opinion!

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

Is the vehicle experiencing frequent regens as mentioned? One option for you to do is to remove the exhaust flex pipe under the cab and check the color of the exhaust. Snap the throttle and see if there is any indications of blue smoke. You may want to get to the bottom of this, as this will contaminate the exhaust aftertreatment system if its burning it.

V

• Like 1
  • Like 1