Eager beaver trailer

cfd511

Hey guy I know you will be mad that I post this here but I’m in a jam . I took all the brake chambers off my 2001 hal 20 eager beaver trailer and my brother threw the old cans away like right away now I have no idea how much of the push rod to hacksaw off and copy old one . Anyone have an idea where to find that info . I have to move a machine on Tuesday and I’m not a big fan of caging the chamber to figure it out . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by cfd511

With the brake shoes firmly contacting the brake drum(s), measure from the face of the brake spider where the brake can mounts up to, (the side the brake can mounts against) to the center of the used slack adjuster hole the clevis pin slides through. Ensure the brake shoes are firmly pressed against the brake drums, and record this measurement. With this measurement you install the clevis onto the new brake can's pushrod, run it down to the proper measured length recorded, (mating surface of brake can to center of clevis eyes) mark the rod, remove the clevis, add one inch length to you mark, and cut the rod off. When you set the clevis to the same length as measured, the brake can is at it's maximum stroke. You don't want this on the trailer so it's offset by the one inch additional length. Then assemble. It's a bit easier if you have a slack adjuster stroke wrench, but it can be done by hand also.

That's kinda the way I've done it in the past but others may have additional ideas.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

7 hours ago, cfd511 said:

Are all trailers of these the same .

if someone had the same trailer

as me could I measure from front of can to Cleves and copy

it 

I can't answer that for certain. What I suggested is quite easy once you get set up for it.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.