CH 613 E7-400 1992 model engine shutdown

boogaman

Does anyone have any answers for e7-400 shutdown issues? Sometimes it runs fine sometimes it just dies but will crank right back without resetting key switch. Some times Jake brake works sometimes it don’t not sure if it’s got anything to do with it. Also it’s just sitting on my lot not driving it or anything just because of this issue. Good oil pressure not hot and plenty of coolant. The other day it wouldn’t crank either then all of a sudden it cranked when I let off the key, very weird. Any help is very appreciated.  Oh yea sometimes the shutdown light is on and buzzer and sometimes not. The Jake clutch switch was unhooked when I bought truck on pedal and I hooked it up and it worked. Wandering if it was unhooked for a reason?😳

Because of the year of this truck it could be computer controlled or mechanical fuel pump you need to clarify this! Joe h has mentioned a very good point replace the accessory relay .check your battery and starter connections

Been foolin with it this evening bout an hour. Started quitting very often cranked back every time. Never lost power in cab even on solenoid in dash on key switch terminal. Is this the solenoid your calling accessory? Also it’s an electric governed mechanical pump. I read somewhere maybe check oil sending unit and while it was throwing this fit , if you will, I put voltage checker in oil sending unit end and checked 3 volts on one and 5 on the other and ground. And the truck hasn’t missed a beat yet. Any more ideas I’m game. Thank you for the reply earlier. 

16 hours ago, JoeH said:

Not sure what the oil sensor should read for voltage, replace anyway? I think oil, low water level, and high water temp are shutdown triggers. Cover your bases and replace all 3?

The Shut down light would come on first!  before this would happen all three are a one minute warning before shut down! I would be checking the vmac  plug on the fuel pump! take it apart and put it together half a dozen times and try it see if the situation changes! if it does you have two choices have the plug repined at the dealer IF THEY CAN FIND their special crimping tools OR hard wire the pump to the harness!

just a thought!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Stokes said:

Got a 1993 mack e7 400hp it turns over but will not crank please help 

It turns over but won't crank? Cranking and turning over are the same thing, only difference being one can be done by hand, the other by starter motor. Are you turning it over by hand to make sure it's not seized, but the starter motor won't turn it? Or is the starter motor cranking it but it won't start?

One scenario indicates an electrical problem with your starter motor circuitry, the other indicates that you aren't getting fuel. Have you pushed the stop knob in to allow the fuel pump to send fuel to the injectors? If it doesn't have a stop knob, you need to determine what the mechanism is that shuts fuel off on the pump and test it.