865 valve adjustment

AI use my thumb loosen the jam nut turn the adjuster in till it won’t move the with a screw driver or your thumb back it out one half turn then place your blade under the rocker turn the adjuster in till you got drag on the feeler then lock it with your  11/8 wrench and check the feel it can change as you tighten the jam nut! Adjust as nessary  to get the right drag on the blade

Edited by fjh

7 hours ago, Dieselpower170 said:

Does anyone know the procedure to set valves on an 865? I have a book but it’s for the E9. I’m lookin for what I should be setting the valves at 

Setting the valve lash is the same as an E9 except you do not have set the bridge first. There is no bridge on a 2 valve ENDT865. Lash clearances is listed on the valve cover tag. Got both engines and set valves real EZ as long as you can bar the the engine over, both with Dynatard. Don't worry if the Tard does not work, it is useless anyway on both engines.

By the way the E9 head gasket will not work on the ENDT865/866 series engines, Different bore and fire ring diameter. 865 gaskets are still available at least in Australia I am told from Mack. END864 is totally different as well.

• 3 weeks later...