10 Speed Hidden Gears

Talldawg

First time poster here. I drive a 2005 granite with a 10 speed, multi speed reverse, maxi torque transmission. Low range has 2low-1low-1-2-3-4. High range has 5-6-7-8 situated in the same places as 1-4. This leaves the 2lo/1lo spots with no marked gears in the high range(I will call these 1 and 2 lo-hi). When you select one of those spots in high range however they do have functional gears. 2lo-hi has a gear ratio between 1st and 2nd and 1lo-hi is between 3rd and 4th. The only practical use I see is shifting from 3rd to 1lo-hi and on to 5-8. Are these gears safe to use? And why are they there?

On my 8lolo Eaton trans you can't use the Lolo switch in high range. I would not use them in high range, use it with the intended shift pattern. Typically lo lo ranges are not designed for the amount of torque applied under full acceleration on the road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Talldawg said:

First time poster here. I drive a 2005 granite with a 10 speed, multi speed reverse, maxi torque transmission. Low range has 2low-1low-1-2-3-4. High range has 5-6-7-8 situated in the same places as 1-4. This leaves the 2lo/1lo spots with no marked gears in the high range(I will call these 1 and 2 lo-hi). When you select one of those spots in high range however they do have functional gears. 2lo-hi has a gear ratio between 1st and 2nd and 1lo-hi is between 3rd and 4th. The only practical use I see is shifting from 3rd to 1lo-hi and on to 5-8. Are these gears safe to use? And why are they there?

The gears are there because that is how a compound range transmission is designed.  All the High Range gears (Direct drive through the range) get a Low Range (approx 4 to 1 reduction).  The multi speed reverse was designed as an 8 speed with 2 hole/low speed gears. Additionally you can use all 6 speeds ratio's in reverse

You will not damage the transmission by using them, but you will have difficulty using them in a practice, because the hole gears are not meant to be shifted thru in high range, they are meant only for low speed use.

• Like 1