AC

Trent

I have a 1960 B95 Mack with a 707 gasoline engine.  I want to install an AC unit.  I have a 2 shive belt pulley on the engine now.  I would like to know how the AC compressor mounting bracket attaches to the engine and what it looks like.

I did my 673, not sure what the front of a 707 looks like.  I mimicked the bracket from an R model in a way.  I run off the front pulley.  I have other pictures if they will help you.

IMG_20150308_180846_427.jpg

IMG_20150101_153453_288.jpg

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I spent plenty of time just looking under the hood to come up with everything to make sure it would work before buying the kit.

I removed the fuel filter off the engine and re purposed the two bolts to hold the bracket.  This is what they did on an R model engine.  The biggest difference is the B model is such a short hood there is no extra room for another pulley behind the water pump pulley.  You can't use the rear groove because of the accy drive on the diesel sticks out, so I used the front groove.  It just clears everything.

Here you can see the original two bolt bracket from the fuel filter.  I cut the band section off and welded the plate to it.  The lower tabs run gussets down to the accy drive to support everything.

I then welded the original bands to another bracket and mounted the filter on the front frame rail, under the outer hood panel.

IMG_20150104_163950_419.jpg

IMG_20150104_164307_790.jpg

IMG_20150104_164402_827.jpg

I hung the evaporator under the dash using my own brackets to clear my CB radio.  The condenser is hung under the bunk horizontally with a fan on it.  It makes instant cold air this way.  I ran a hot wire from the a/c power switch to the fan relay so it turns on as soon as I turn the system on.  It's suppose to work off the trinary switch, but I want it running full time to keep the condenser as cool as possible since being where it is gets no real air flow, especially sitting still.

I got the kit from Retro Air in Texas.  They don't offer the same one anymore, but you can find it on Ebay also.  I paid $600 for all.  Comes with Sanden pump and all hoses.  I needed longer hoses to reach behind the bunk, but I bought some from Retro air.  It uses very good Parker a/c line.  It's been running for 5? yrs now without issue.  It's a 14K btu unit and will freeze you out even on a drafty old B model.  It only needs to be set on low to be more then comfortable on a warm day in Ohio.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"