1991 E7 350 engine brake intermittent at higher rpm's

The Engine Brake on my 1991 E7 is cutting in and out at higher rpm's with a load on. Is this a sign of something? All the electrical connections look ok on the out side there seems to be a little oil seaping from the plug where the wires go into the head not bad but more than I'd care to see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Probably won't be able to look into it for a few weeks, I sub out for an oil delivery company in the winters, and we're starting a major overhaul on one of our concrete mixers. Jake brake is more of a toy than a necessity here. No mountain driving in our neck of the woods. But it has it so it should work!

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I have the mechanical Bosch pump just replaced the solenoids and rocker assemblies and it is still intermittent starting now at 1250 and up rpm. I cannot find any relay there's a circuit breaker for the engine brake but cannot locate a relay ( the spot for it is blank). Seems to be fine before 1200-1300 rpm. 

Mine works better if I use it a lot, especially when I first start out in the morning before the engine is up to temperature. It was intermittent from 1500 up, now I have both heads working up to 1850 rpms. All I've done is replace the thermostat, it had a piece of rubber gasket missing so it would not close all the way. If left to idle long enough the engine temp would drop to around 100-120. Now it stays steady at 180.

Edited by JoeH

• 10 months later...