Jake brake troubles

MOloghauler

I have an older model E7, mechanical motor with a 2 stage Jake. The jakes work on the low side, but the high isn’t working at all. I took the valve cover off and the power wire was broken, replaced the wire, and still nothing. Are there more wires under there I need to check? I couldn’t get the valve cover all the way off, just slid out of the way enough to get to the power wire. Is there a solinoid that could possibly be bad? Any help is greatly appreciated! 

56 minutes ago, MOloghauler said:

I have an older model E7, mechanical motor with a 2 stage Jake. The jakes work on the low side, but the high isn’t working at all. I took the valve cover off and the power wire was broken, replaced the wire, and still nothing. Are there more wires under there I need to check? I couldn’t get the valve cover all the way off, just slid out of the way enough to get to the power wire. Is there a solinoid that could possibly be bad? Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Year Please!  Give us info or we can't help ! E7 Means very little! you need to pull the valve cover and look for rocker shaft pugs on some!need to know what year!

Edited by fjh

low side-1 head

High-both heads  

Truck off, run power to the terminal sticking out of valve cover.  They should make a "click" noise when the power makes contact.

Click-good solenoid.   No click-broken wire to solenoid or bad solenoid. 

You could also let truck idle and hold power to the same terminals (1at a time) and the engine brake should turn on (you'll hear brake)

If you heard both solenoids click,  but still have only 1 head working when you ran power while running,   it could be-

Loss of oil pressure in engine brake housing examples- split orings on solenoid most likely the bottom oring,  missing plugs at the end of rocker shaft (plugs look like little freeze plugs),  valve/ engine brake adjustment (in my experience this is more of a red engine problem MP8),  Jake Brake needing updated

Edited by Challenger