Shifter Isolator Bushing.

Not if you have one already. It's just a replacement and can be done in the cab. If not and you wish to install one, cut the shifter handle, weld the isolator to the part nearest the transmission, then remove enough of the upper part of the shifter handle to drop the total length back to where you want it, and bolt the top section into the bottom section. There may be totally bolt in styles now but a few years ago there were not.

The shifting handles wear at he point where they intermesh with the shift forks, and the forks themselves wear. Your post is too vague to present any real repair type guidance and be correct. Its the "play" down low, or up top? Grab the shift lever right at the floor level and move it around. If loose there, the slop or play is inside the transmission. If solid by the floor, it very well could be the isolator bushing, (if installed) is worn.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

14 hours ago, Rob said:

Not if you have one already. It's just a replacement and can be done in the cab. If not and you wish to install one, cut the shifter handle, weld the isolator to the part nearest the transmission, then remove enough of the upper part of the shifter handle to drop the total length back to where you want it, and bolt the top section into the bottom section. There may be totally bolt in styles now but a few years ago there were not.

The shifting handles wear at he point where they intermesh with the shift forks, and the forks themselves wear. Your post is too vague to present any real repair type guidance and be correct. Its the "play" down low, or up top? Grab the shift lever right at the floor level and move it around. If loose there, the slop or play is inside the transmission. If solid by the floor, it very well could be the isolator bushing, (if installed) is worn.

I haven't gotten that far into it. It doesn't feel like a gear box issue. The shifter has kind of a "rubber" feeling to it.

I drove a friend's truck the other day, and it's crisp, and close between the gears. Mine seems to have a "flex" to it.

28 minutes ago, Flat Work said:

I haven't gotten that far into it. It doesn't feel like a gear box issue. The shifter has kind of a "rubber" feeling to it.

I drove a friend's truck the other day, and it's crisp, and close between the gears. Mine seems to have a "flex" to it.

If you lift the shift boot on the floor you will be able to tell if there is an isolator there. If the shifter handle goes straight into the top cover adapter, there is not one. The isolator looks like an addition to the shifter handle.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

20 minutes ago, Rob said:

If you lift the shift boot on the floor you will be able to tell if there is an isolator there. If the shifter handle goes straight into the top cover adapter, there is not one. The isolator looks like an addition to the shifter handle.

Cool. Thank you.

I'll check it out.

9 minutes ago, Flat Work said:

Well, it's go one, and there is play in it.

Do I have to remove the tower, and pound this thing apart?

Sometimes it's easiest that way or use a good heat gun and soften the bonded rubber.