Autocar the first commercial truck in the U.S?

https://www.autocartruck.com/Files/Media/Autocar History story 2-17-09-1.pdf

I came across this short history of Autocar. It describes Autocar as the first commercial truck maker in the U.S. I always thought the first was by another company that went out of business before the 50s. Autocar  is my favorite American truck after Mack because it shared a similar toughness.

I just saw a beautiful short nose Autocar dump in White Plains NY. I always preferred those to the longer nose types. Maybe because they remind me of my favorite Mack the DM model :) .

• Like 2

I'm with you on those A Cars. The B series 73, 75 and Lt's are first place with me followed by 50's and early 60's A Cars like the DC102"s. Then the 523 KW's then 351 Pete's.

Truck Shop

One ping only

24 minutes ago, Truck Shop said:

I'm with you on those A Cars. The B series 73, 75 and Lt's are first place with me followed by 50's and early 60's A Cars like the DC102"s. Then the 523 KW's then 351 Pete's.

Truck Shop

What was the model with the short nose 'U'?

• 2 months later...

There were earlier automobile companies in the US, such as Duryea and Oldsmobile, of course gone now. Autocar was a very early automotive player and built the first motor truck commercially available for sale in 1899, then they focused on cars for a few years. Since all the earlier vehicle companies and brands went out of business that leaves Autocar as the oldest motor vehicle brand as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autocar_Company