Jake brake parts question

Freightrain

Tore my Jake's apart for rebuild.  Found one to have single springs in slave cylinder and the other has double springs like the kit shows.  Did someone forget them in the past?  Will they work okay or should I order them and get them installed?  Kit does not include them, only valve springs.

I got the shell, shutters, radiator and bumper off the truck to ease running valves without having to crawl under the truck to get to flywheel.

IMG_20180204_214312.jpg

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

It's been awhile since I've rebuilt one with the update kit, but it seems like I remember the 2 springs were updated with just a single spring. Maybe the one housing has been rebuilt but not the other? It's also possible that my memory sucks and I'm wrong.

I know they both had different solenoids on them so I know someone has been through them at some point.   The paperwork that came with the kit shows TWO springs, so I'm guessing the two springs are the upgrade(not the other way around).  Of course the kit doesn't come with the springs.

Larry

Went to hardware store and bought three new springs of same diameter and wire size.  Trimmed about 1\2" off so same length as others.  Put it together and sitting on motor.  Need three more bolts to mount it and the run valves.  Little by little.....

Larry

• 2 months later...

Just a little update.   It's all together and I got to try it out last weekend in the hills of PA.  Works really nice.  Need to adjust my pedal switch just a touch as the vibration at higher speeds tend to flutter the switch and deactivate it.  Holding the gas pedal up with slight pressure makes it work again.

Used it on the big hill at Milroy, on 322.  Kept my speed and never really had to hit the brake pedal to hold speed.  Too bad my transmission is so sloppy I really have to hold the shifter in gear.  It tends to want to jump out.

• Like 1

Larry