Wing Plows on Small Trucks

Red Horse

I have heard that some DPW's are starting to put wing plows on 19,500 lb chassis-be they F-550's, Dodge 5500's, Terrastars whatever.

No doubt you see more and more F-350's, 550's etc being used to "clean up" intersections etc but this idea of putting a wing on such a small truck seems like trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Anyone have any knowledge /opinions on this?  My town has budgeted $104,000 for a new 19,500lb truck!!

Town of Sothbury CT has about 10-12 F-550 with the hilly torain they have and their roll over costs replacement and non-cdl drivers fuel cost then some towns are going with 10-wheeler's MACK Stratford N.Branford Stamford Ridge field Bethlehem E.Haven to the the toon of 270,000 fully equipped just to name a few.

Ed

13 minutes ago, blackdog2 said:

Town of Sothbury CT has about 10-12 F-550 with the hilly torain they have and their roll over costs replacement and non-cdl drivers fuel cost then some towns are going with 10-wheeler's MACK Stratford N.Branford Stamford Ridge field Bethlehem E.Haven to the the toon of 270,000 fully equipped just to name a few.

EJ-but do any of these 550's have wings?  No doubt most towns do have a good number of small trucks thesedays-but my issue is we are going to spend over a hundred grand and put a wing plow on a 550!  

I say when you have a winter like 2014-15, and the windrows get too high, you send the loaders out to punch "relief holes" in the banks every few hundred feet.