Mack e9 v8 roll off truck

Mack-1986

Question

Hi guys can't seem to get a answer here. I'm purchasing a 1986 Mack superliner with the e9 v8 and 12 spd tranny it's a roll off bin truck I'm going to use for my new business. If I use this truck on a daily basis and maintain it will it serve me well or will it break me if the engine starts having problems? The truck only has 240000 original miles on it. 

Thanks. 

image.jpeg

5 answers to this question

IF!!!! you take good care of it, drive it like your Mother is with you, it will serve you well.

Take good care on the maint. side.

Even so, parts for the motor are in short supply,...and expensive

Nice looking truck

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

6 minutes ago, hatcity said:

IF!!!! you take good care of it, drive it like your Mother is with you, it will serve you well.

Take good care on the maint. side.

Even so, parts for the motor are in short supply,...and expensive

Nice looking truck

Are they that expensive that they will break the bank? 

I have an E9 in my MH and bought another truck for parts, both are in Squamish... if you can do all your own maintenance and get into problems early... and do NOT overheat them.... then it is a good engine for what you are doing. Don't expect any parts on the shelf at the dealer, you are going to have to build up a contacts list. If you take it to the local dealer they will get confused 'cos they can't plug a laptop into it... LOL !!!!

BC used to have a good E9 population in the eighties and nineties, with our big hills, greater weights and super B's at 140,000lbs it was one of the few 500hp engines at that time... not too many of them around here anymore. One of our members here recently picked up a cache of engines and parts from a guy in South Surrey, and there is an ex dealer in Kamloops that has some parts.

in our BMT for sale section there is an ad from a logger from the Island with five? Superliner's with E9's for sale, maybe worth talking to him about parts and maintenance tips.

BC Mack

• Like 2

Thanks so much BC Mack I'll look in to doing that. Much appreciated. I plan on working it for a couple years and to eventually restore the old girl to her former glory. 

Would it it be worth putting a more modern engine in the truck if it ever dies?