99 R Model Cylinder lock and Ignition Replacement

Hi there folks.

I have an 99 R Model that I am trying to reinsert new cylinder locks, but I can't seem to get it back in one piece and actually make the door lock function.  

I need to know where to start with changing out the ignition cylinder too. I never changed out an ignition cylinder or door lock before.

Any help out there please?

I haven't tried an ignition cylinder so no help there.

There is a metal clip in the door jamb that retains the lock cylinder.  Remove the clip with a screwdriver and pair of pliers.  This should free up the cylinder so it will come out.  There is a shaft between the cylinder and the actual lock/latch mechanism. Put your new cylinder in lining it up with the shaft and put the retaining clip back in the slot.

This was on an 88 and I think it should be the same on the 99.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Thought about it and remembered I had a switch on the shelf.

The switch will have to come out of the dash.  It took me several tries to do it sitting at the bench so I think in the truck would be a pain.  So, after messing with it for a few minutes, this is what worked for me.  Hopefully, your switch looks like this Mack 1MR3172P2.

Using a paper clip or mini screwdriver, insert straightened end into hole in the switch body while the key is in the accessory position and push in toward the cylinder.  There is a spring loaded brass collar that needs to be compressed.  If the brass collar is fully depressed, it will allow you to gently pry with a mini screwdriver the cylinder out of the switch body.

ignition cylinder.JPG

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 3 weeks later...