Low Turbo Bust

E7x

I think these guys are on the right track with the compressor intake pipe. I ran my 427 for a time and could hear turbo boost leaking out through the air dryer!!! Listen closely when you are in a pull; it will only do this when the compressor is NOT pumping. When the unloader valves close(pumping air), no turbo leak. The boys at the Mack garage thought me to be crazy, and the foreman said it wouldn't matter much anyway. Boy were they WRONG! I did a little research and found various E-Tech engines with the compressor intake plumbed into the inlet side of the turbo(between the filter and turbo). There doesn't seem to be a method here; I have seen different models hooked up both ways.(yours might already be plumbed this way) I converted mine to a low pressure intake like I described and gained an instant 7 PSI on the boost guage. An added bonus is my compressor quit pushing so much oil; I don't think air compressors are designed for 30 PSI on the inlet side. Atmospheric will do fine.

If you want to switch yours, just make sure you use stiff enough hose that it doesn't collapse under the suction of the intake.

(air brake hose works good, soft enough to put a hose clamp on. Heater hose is not stiff enough.)

Hope I was of some help. I know it is frustrating when your DOG ain't running right. Good luck!

I think these guys are on the right track with the compressor intake pipe. I ran my 427 for a time and could hear turbo boost leaking out through the air dryer!!! Listen closely when you are in a pull; it will only do this when the compressor is NOT pumping. When the unloader valves close(pumping air), no turbo leak. The boys at the Mack garage thought me to be crazy, and the foreman said it wouldn't matter much anyway. Boy were they WRONG! I did a little research and found various E-Tech engines with the compressor intake plumbed into the inlet side of the turbo(between the filter and turbo). There doesn't seem to be a method here; I have seen different models hooked up both ways.(yours might already be plumbed this way) I converted mine to a low pressure intake like I described and gained an instant 7 PSI on the boost guage. An added bonus is my compressor quit pushing so much oil; I don't think air compressors are designed for 30 PSI on the inlet side. Atmospheric will do fine.

If you want to switch yours, just make sure you use stiff enough hose that it doesn't collapse under the suction of the intake.

(air brake hose works good, soft enough to put a hose clamp on. Heater hose is not stiff enough.)

Hope I was of some help. I know it is frustrating when your DOG ain't running right. Good luck!

I was thinking about re-routing mine the same way you did...between the filter and the turbo. I didn't know if there was some methodology with that or not and the service guy I had asked didn't know either. The up-side I guess is that it pumps up PDQ when you're at full throttle.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

I was thinking about re-routing mine the same way you did...between the filter and the turbo. I didn't know if there was some methodology with that or not and the service guy I had asked didn't know either. The up-side I guess is that it pumps up PDQ when you're at full throttle.

I took the elbow out of the intake manifold and put a plug in its place. I got a fitting called a THROUGH NIPPLE to mount in the intake pipe, then put the original elbow fitting into that. I left the metal pipe around back of the engine and routed a stiff hose from it up to my new fitting. This setup has been working well for several years. She might pump a little slower from 0 PSI but at speed there is no difference. Now it is all air and very little oil !

• 11 years later...

I also have a 2000 mack vision cx613  I have no power on a take off loaded.  it is a real struggle to keep truck motor from stalling out when loaded at a stop  changed air filter  and no difference. was told it could also be turbo sensor.  clutch is good bo adjustment need  an clutch brake doesn't slip transmission guage and rear end guage  all run normal temps with no sounds coming out of them. any ideas?

11 hours ago, ramsey said:

I also have a 2000 mack vision cx613  I have no power on a take off loaded.  it is a real struggle to keep truck motor from stalling out when loaded at a stop  changed air filter  and no difference. was told it could also be turbo sensor.  clutch is good bo adjustment need  an clutch brake doesn't slip transmission guage and rear end guage  all run normal temps with no sounds coming out of them. any ideas?

How heavy? Has it always been the same? Which engine/trans? 

54 minutes ago, Jamkar said:

How heavy? Has it always been the same? Which engine/trans? 

anywhere between 76,000 and 80,000 . it just started doing this  after a major rain and the work site was terrible  with several inches of mud to work in . before that not one issue with taking off it's a 460 with a super 10