59 B61lt Compressor Not Holding

rustydog

Recently cranked up this '59 after sitting for years. Builds air, but won't hold it. Checked all over and fixed some minor leaks. Noticed air coming back up and out of the intake hose after shutdown.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Its trying to say replace me but you can replace the valves in the head with a field repair kit that i am sure bendix still sells. That will be a tuflow 500 bendix and you may be able to replace the maintenance kit with out pulling the compressor. You have done your home work to find were it was leaking. Some guys would have never found that. glenn

glenn akers

Its trying to say replace me but you can replace the valves in the head with a field repair kit that i am sure bendix still sells. That will be a tuflow 500 bendix and you may be able to replace the maintenance kit with out pulling the compressor. You have done your home work to find were it was leaking. Some guys would have never found that. glenn

Glenn, thanks for the help!!.....Next question...any local suppliers to get the repair kit???...I'm in southern jersey

The air system should have a one way valve plumbed between the compressor and the primary air tank. Usually at the point where the flexible supply line inters the tank. If it doesn't , put one in it. Otherwise, at shutdown all of your supply air, along with any contaminates such as oil and water buildup is forced back into the compressor. Then you can bend or break a rod or reed plate in the compressor on start up. I learned that that the hard way one cold winter morning when adding air line de-icer to a froze up air system.

• 3 weeks later...