Cdl

beatngu

Well, I am almost 18 and one of the first things I want to do it start preparing for my CDL. Although interstate commerce is not an option or necessity for me, I would still like to drive a larger truck. I would like to know what I will need to get started, such as how to get training (we have friends with small trucking companies if that helps), where to begin and how to get there. I suppose the DMV has a book on this, but I would like some words of experience. Thank you for any responses. Also, I have my first medium duty truck now! A 1955 Ford C-600 dump truck.

Well, for starters, you are correct, the DMV should have a CDL book for you to read, and in that, it will outline the steps needed to obtain a CDL. I would recommend lining up a truck to practice on before you get your permit. I say that because for me, between school, work, and an experienced driver's availability, the 1 year expiration date on the permit came up fast.

Since I really didn't have any friends in the "trucking" industry, I used a school bus as my practice vehicle; however, it did end up costing a little bit more due to the additional permits and training required for the school bus.

I'll end by noting that if you're really looking into entering the trucking industry, I would definitely try to train and practice in an actual truck, because even though I now have a Class B CDL, I still don't know how to drive a manual transmission, and I'm very dependent on those crossview mirrors, which very few trucks have.

Ditto to that....I only have a B and regret it. Also, since you don't know anyone who drives i think you should go to driving school even though it's expensive...at least they can teach you how to drive manual. its a little different than a manual car to put it mildly. a lot of people will tell you the only way to learn is to have your old man teach you.....cause no one knows how to scream at you like a father. I think this is sorta true, but considering....school isnt too bad.

As for the book, you will have to get it because the written test is based on it and whether or not something is true...if it says it in the book, its the law on the test.

You can also go to youtube and search things like "big truck shifting" etc. ...alot of people post videos on how to do stuff....some is good advice, tricks from people who have been driving a truck since they could reach the pedals.

My last piece of advice.....you are in an enormous, heavy, and powerful vehicle....dont drive like your in a honda civic.....it really burns my ass to see truckers speeding too fast, tailgating, etc.