Issues getting to top speed

I_Like_Waffles

Hello there!

Currently have 2 2008 Mack trucks with the MP8 motors in them. I'm having issues with both of them getting up to speed. There is a intermittent issue going on with these trucks. Ive changed the foot pedals, speed sensor, and speed sensor pigtails. These issues happen randomly. They just cant get up to speed. Sometimes they wont go past 45 mph sometimes 55mph. Does anybody have any feedback on what to check on these trucks. I'm at a loss. Both are equipped with a 13 speed and 1 has a check engine light (lighting bolt) for a crank case breather code. The other shows nothing.

I was just checking to see if you had other reasons for your power loss of a mechanical nature. Try replacing the output speed sensor on the trans. You could have active and or inactive codes for it. That will cause your speedo drop and sometimes power/speed loss.

Ok watch your boost and if the boost drops out when you step on it and then lags up it could be the egr valve sticking open. I recently seen that happen on a 2009 and a 2011 GU. A lot of trouble shooting to determine that was happening. Other than checking with PTT you'd have to tear it apart to check to see if the valve sticks or hangs up.

• Like 1

Yeah you might bet a sound of a boost leak when this is happening intermittently. That's what these two trucks were doing as well. No codes were present. Also check the stalk stick wiring harness in the steering column for chaffing. I've seen one other that was dropping out like that on a CXU and that was an issue.

• Like 1

yup. checked over everything. Found the CAC had exploded up top and somehow with the sound/heat pad on the hood it pushed down on the cooler and would seal it off and would not notice the boost lose. since it was intermittent I'm guessing a bump or road conditions had an effect where the engine bay would shake and boom boost leak galore.