What's It Worth?

Packer

Got a call from an old friend wanting to sale me his '38 GMC COE.

We're trying to find a price we can both live with.

This is a restored, painted, running truck with new tires and some truck show trophies.

Any input would be great!!!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Hi Packer;

As they say on some of the other forums-a truck is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. I know that's useless,but really,about the only ways I know of to get a value would be :

1-Figure up a pre-agreed percentage of what your friend is into the truck so far,maybe 40% (He probably still has all the receipts) and go with that as a starting offer. That might be pretty low,in your friend's eyes,but it IS just a starting point. :idunno:

2-Log on to "oldgmctrucks.com" and ask the old-timers there for opinions. (If you get the truck,it'd be a good idea to get on that forum anyway-really good people,lots of help/information there. Tell 'em Speed sent ya.

3-Contact ATHS (If there's not a link to it here,there's one on the GMC trucks forum) and see if they have a price guide that covers the bigger trucks

4-Offer your friend as much as you feel like you can afford to part with,and see if it's enough to do the deal.

Personally,I always look for the "owners group" for whatever vehicle I'm getting-they already have a lot of knowledge about that model vehicle,and they know all the best places to get parts and information.

I hope this'll help you,and if you can post some pics of it when you inquire about its value it'll be a lot easier for the folks to give you a reasonable value. And email ME some pics too!! :twothumbsup:

BTW- The old COE's are kind of a "niche" type of truck-priceless to those who love 'em,but not worth much to most truck collecters because of the size and height. They usually won't fit in a garage,often too long to fit most parking spaces,not the easiest trucks to get in and out of,harder to work on,etc.;but they're so COOOLLLL!!! B)

Good luck with it! :D

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Hi Packer;

As they say on some of the other forums-a truck is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. I know that's useless,but really,about the only ways I know of to get a value would be :

1-Figure up a pre-agreed percentage of what your friend is into the truck so far,maybe 40% (He probably still has all the receipts) and go with that as a starting offer. That might be pretty low,in your friend's eyes,but it IS just a starting point. :idunno:

2-Log on to "oldgmctrucks.com" and ask the old-timers there for opinions. (If you get the truck,it'd be a good idea to get on that forum anyway-really good people,lots of help/information there. Tell 'em Speed sent ya.

3-Contact ATHS (If there's not a link to it here,there's one on the GMC trucks forum) and see if they have a price guide that covers the bigger trucks

4-Offer your friend as much as you feel like you can afford to part with,and see if it's enough to do the deal.

Personally,I always look for the "owners group" for whatever vehicle I'm getting-they already have a lot of knowledge about that model vehicle,and they know all the best places to get parts and information.

I hope this'll help you,and if you can post some pics of it when you inquire about its value it'll be a lot easier for the folks to give you a reasonable value. And email ME some pics too!! :twothumbsup:

BTW- The old COE's are kind of a "niche" type of truck-priceless to those who love 'em,but not worth much to most truck collecters because of the size and height. They usually won't fit in a garage,often too long to fit most parking spaces,not the easiest trucks to get in and out of,harder to work on,etc.;but they're so COOOLLLL!!! B)

Good luck with it! :D

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

wow!- sounds like great advice to me! I like old GMC's too-I joined that GMC site a while back looking for 860 pictures but didn't see any-they're my favorite old Jimmys.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.