new guy looking to buy a superliner

screwylouie010

Hi all. Im Nick from New York. Im will be 25 in about a week. I am a graduate of the diesel tech program at Suny Morrisville. I have been a truck lover since I can remember and a mack lover for a long time. I grew up on a 600 acre farm and still work there. we borrowed a 84 r model tandem axle tractor for a while. it had a 237 with a 5+2. was a fun truck and the first tractor trailer I drove. we had a flat deck for hauling hay and a dump trailer for hauling silage. when we were no longer able to borrow it I pieced together a 79 ih s1724 that I bought for about scrap price. junked the big block that was in it and installed my dt360 that I had bought for a pulling truck that never got built. fast forward to last fall. I rolled it over on the silage pack and destroyed the lift cylinders and badly tween the converted dumping stake body. after that happened I borrowed a 87 dm mack with a 300+ and 9spd. 58k rears and a drop axle. that was a really nice truck and was for sale but the guy wanted 10k for it and I knew that I couldn't afford it at the time really(my girlfriends uncle ended up buying it). But I always had my eye on the super liner that the retired excavation guy had down the road. he has been long time friends with my father. I finally asked to look at it the other day and that is why I am here now. it is an 84, has an em9 400hp. 12spd maxitorque trans. spread rear axles, with camel back springs and walking beams. Dayton wheels all around. very nice ~16ft dump body that is setup to be heated( ill never need it to be). at 1 point it had a lift axle. shows 384xxx miles and about 6k hours if I remember right. interior is ok, but driver seat shot.( I have a good used 1)I mad the guy an offer and he didn't say no. the truck has not been on the road since 2010 and hasn't moved in about 2 years. I went back yesterday and rolled the hood again. it has the v style injection pump, which I though it should have the inline p-pump. it does have the charge air cooler. exhaust is rotted. is there anything else I should look for? he says he had to put a new cam in it. do these motors have any serious problems? I usually don't post much but do a lot of reading and browsing. I do try to put in my input sometimes though to help out. this looks to be a great site. THANK YOU

• Like 2

Welcome to the group.

At around 1992 the pumps were changed to inline models. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE