T-2070 Vs 12 Speed

genster

how does a 2070 compare to a mack 12 speed?? i currently have a 2070 behind a EM6-300L and there is another truck with an E-6 300 with the 12 speed for sale. the problem i have is i either run out of RPMs with the low speed engine, or am in between gears while running loaded. (could use a 3.5 gear!) i would assume the 12 speed gears are closer together which would be ideal for me.

just wondering, does $12,900 sound reasonable for an

1989 MACK DM690SX. E-6 300 Mack 300 HP, 12sp, Camelback Suspension, 12R24.5 Tires, Spoke Wheels, Tri Axle, 58,000# RA, 75,000 mi.

im not sure what the condition is, but i think they mean 12R24 rubber, and it has a concrete mixer on it.

Thanks guys!

Austin

Edited by genster

how does a 2070 compare to a mack 12 speed?? i currently have a 2070 behind a EM6-300L and there is another truck with an E-6 300 with the 12 speed for sale. the problem i have is i either run out of RPMs with the low speed engine, or am in between gears while running loaded. (could use a 3.5 gear!) i would assume the 12 speed gears are closer together which would be ideal for me.

just wondering, does $12,900 sound reasonable for an

1989 MACK DM690SX. E-6 300 Mack 300 HP, 12sp, Camelback Suspension, 12R24.5 Tires, Spoke Wheels, Tri Axle, 58,000# RA, 75,000 mi.

im not sure what the condition is, but i think they mean 12R24 rubber, and it has a concrete mixer on it.

Thanks guys!

Austin

Actually 12R24.5 tires are common on 58's nowadays. 12900 doesent sounds pretty darn good for only 75k miles on it but those could have been some real hard miles. Maybe the odo rolled or was replaced(kinda doubt it though)?

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 2 weeks later...

yea we need to know you rear end ratio to give a better idea if it will work. The 2070 has a real big Overdrive. most Macks I have seen with 2070s had slow rears ...5.55-5.73 etc...

the 12 speed dose not have as big of an overdrive. so if your rears are to slow your top end will be to slow 45-50 MPH etc... then again a "standard RPM" 300 pump could get your RPMs up to 2100 and get your top end back. Most will say The 12 speed is a great trans, one of the better ones mack offered in the R model. you can drive it like a 5 speed or split the gears to pull a hill and still. have 5 reverse gears when backing. oh and the Low low hole will still let ants pass you up LOL

Let us know the rear end ratio

trent

If I remember right a T2070 has a high gear ration of .60 and a 12 speed has a .78 so if you are running a set of low geared rears a 12 speed will slow your top end speed down.

I have 3 TRLD1070,s laying around, i was thinking about putting one in my 58 B61 237 hp 4.17 rears, i was wandering if they were good transmissions or if they had problems with the 10 speeds and how they would work with a 237, how fast it would run i have 11 22.5 tires hi tred. Thanks Ron