E7 460 1999

PaulR

Hi to all!

I'm new to Mack can anyone tell me how to remove camshaft on E7 also what to watch out for when replacing them. I've gotten as far as removing the heads,push rods,eup,eup roller,front cover and cam gear thrust plate retaining bolt cant remove the lifters is there any tool for it? Thanks!

You didn't need to remove heads to remove can but the lifters need to be raised to allow can to side out you can do this with either magnets or possibly take a wire coat hanger cut it and carefully hook the top of the lifter by turning the coat hanger in to it then after you raise it bend the remaining coat hanger so it stays in place

I'm doing inframe on it to cause not sure how many miles on it. Thanks for the info btw does the lifter come out to the bottom? Might need to replace couple as cam lobes on cyl 3 5 was damage also is it normal for the eup spring to rub on the inside of eup rollers. Thanks again!

There is tools to help remove the cam, They are plastic rods with magnets on the end to hold the lifters up away from the cam and a rubber ring that slides down against the head or block if the heads are off. Also a set of plastic protectors that wrap around the cam that protect the bearings. They snap on in two locations to make the lobes the same size as the bearing journals. Grease on the lifters did not work for me, as soon as a little bit of oil gets on the lifter, down it comes. Magnets worked best.

• Like 1

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.