granite cooling system question

ive purchased a 2004 granite, 300 hp, Allison tandem dump setup. Tonight after a short running period (5 minutes max) after I shut down the motor, the aluminum coolant reservoir began overflowing and I heard what sounded like water moving around in the block and some of the cooling system components. The oil filters were barely warm to the touch, and the temperature gauge had barely moved off the cold mark, yet the reservoir was emmiting what appeared to be steam and water, the cap was pressurized as well. Im not sure what is going on, nor do I understand where the level should be in this reservoir. I am familiar with the split tank system in the RDs but not this one.Do you keep the level at the sight glass at the lower part of the tank? Is there no overflow tank? or is mine missing?

The one piece tank is the replacement for the split tanks. If an engine is pushing coolant out the overflow on the split tank setup and all of the pushing coolant revisions have been made to the engine, Mack recommends to install the one piece tank. The sight glass is the cold minimum level, cold max level is at the bottom of the tube inside the fill neck.

• 1 year later...