Trxl-1071 Shifter:

Rob

A few weeks ago I removed the top plate for the compoud shifter and found the lock bolt depression "wollered out" due to the bolt being loose. This caused the compound shifter to be sloppy. I welded up the hole, redrilled it and installed the bolt with red "Loc-Tight" on the threads. It has worked much better now than originally.

Tonight I located a complete top plate and fork/rail assembly that I knew I had. The shaft is perfect with no perceptable wear at all. I did notice that when the cover is flipped upside down, the shaft has a lot of wobble in the housing. Upon dissassembling the unit, I noticed there are two bronze bushings in the housing. One bushing is right behind the front seal, the second bushing is about 1/2 way down the bore and is split apart needing replacement, and there is a recess further down the bore that feels like there should be a third bushing but none exists. I can feel a shoulder like a bushing would butt up against this from the feel of it.

I don't have a pictoral or breakdown of this housing so I'm wondering if there is a bushing missing? If this is in fact missing, I will order a kit to rebuild it to have as a spare.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have never done any maitance on a trans top cover so cant comment on the parts. I always liked a little slop in the aux stick. It made faster and manytimes smoother forward to reverse shifts possible. The first R I drove full time had a aux stick so sloppy that I could go from low low/1 to reverse/1 with out the cluth and no scratches! only time I used a clutch was from a dead stop.

I have never done any maitance on a trans top cover so cant comment on the parts. I always liked a little slop in the aux stick. It made faster and manytimes smoother forward to reverse shifts possible. The first R I drove full time had a aux stick so sloppy that I could go from low low/1 to reverse/1 with out the cluth and no scratches! only time I used a clutch was from a dead stop.

Today I had a breakdown, (pictoral) faxed over to me and the cover only has two bushings. I spoke with a mechanic at the transmission shop and he said those bushings were common to wear and become sloppy. He also stated they used to install a bushing near the end of the housing. There never was a third bushing.

I ordered all parts that are worn for a grand total of $23.00 including the bushings, seal, pivot seat for the shifter handle, and top gasket. I hate to rely solely on silicone for an oil seal. Should be pretty easy to rebuild and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 2 weeks later...
Today I had a breakdown, (pictoral) faxed over to me and the cover only has two bushings. I spoke with a mechanic at the transmission shop and he said those bushings were common to wear and become sloppy. He also stated they used to install a bushing near the end of the housing. There never was a third bushing.

I ordered all parts that are worn for a grand total of $23.00 including the bushings, seal, pivot seat for the shifter handle, and top gasket. I hate to rely solely on silicone for an oil seal. Should be pretty easy to rebuild and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Rob

Correct parts came in yesterday and I tore the housing apart this morning. The bushing in the center that is split is supposed to reside at the rear of the housing but relocated itself. I think this has been rebuilt before as the transmission it came from was a remack that failed. The bushing also had hammer marks indicating it was not installed with a bushing driver.

The grand total for parts wound up comming in at $49.00 instead of the oringinal $23.00 due to "new" pricing, (Thanks Volvo), and the bushings were incorrect the first time around.

Rob