B87 Question

Guest 45LMSWM

Guest 45LMSWM

Does anyone out there know the reason why Mack used a square top tank on the B873 radiator? These trucks were powered by the 855ci Cummins 335HP and had the wide radiator. From the outside, the radiator appears to be the same as the NHRS and NRT powered B87s, the Mack V8 powered B815s, and the NH250 powered B833, except these all have the more standard, round top radiators. Are there any other differences in the radiator, or just the top tank?

Thanks in advance!

John

I have seen many B873's, the early ones had the low cast tops, the other 4 or 5 i have seen that had the tall steel tops were like 1965's i.e. maybe they figured more capacity, i have only seen 1 true B87sx with the nhrs supercharged cummins, it was like a 1963 and it had the cast top and yes i regret not buying it every day hope this helps

I have seen many B873's, the early ones had the low cast tops, the other 4 or 5 i have seen that had the tall steel tops were like 1965's i.e. maybe they figured more capacity, i have only seen 1 true B87sx with the nhrs supercharged cummins, it was like a 1963 and it had the cast top and yes i regret not buying it every day hope this helps

I know of one other B87SX.....but it is is a museum.It is at JBH IV's house in his museum of old trucks.she is a true ornate piece more the show but she never leaves the palace.

It also has the supercharged Cummins motor in it and i will swear to that....the guys that built her have pics of her at the shop.I was told it is one of about 50 or so ever built with that engine..........a true screamer.besides the 5 or 6 Detroit 8V71 's that were built with that motor.........darn.....I would have liked to see an old LVSW with a big 12.71 done up but that one is still rusting in his barnlllllloh...wait they are building it very soon.

Guest 45LMSWM

I believe that would be John B. Haines IV of the Haines & Kibblehouse Co. His truck is I believe a 1956 B87 and it does have the supercharged Cummins. Truck was at Macungie last weekend, and if you kneel down low enough, you can clearly see the blower on the passenger side of the engine. It's barely newer sister was there as well, but that truck has a NRT-300 under the hood. Both were originally owned by Wellington Service of Somerville, MA. I believe that one is a 1957. I have seen at least two other straight B87s, and I know one had a supercharged Cummins, not sure of the other. However, I cannot recall seeing a B873 with the round top radiator, only square.

John