Valve adjustment on 676. finding tdc?

seanross

hi guys. need some help setting the valves on my mack. the engine has ENDT 676 stamped on it. its a 2vh with dynatard, I have the valve set procedure in front of me. it says in the book I have, to set each cylinder 30 degrees passed tdc. it also states that there is a pointer located on the block marked "valve" that lines up to marks on the damper. There is no pointer on the front of my engine. so i went to the scrap yard to find one. but there were no pointers on those engines either. there is however, a pointer on the very bottom of the flywheel housing. but I cant make sense of the markings on flywheel. all i can see on flywheel is a series of holes. do these mean something? or just for balancing purpose? any help would be appreciated. thanks!

Edited by seanross

On the engine with the timing marks at the bottom of the flywheel there should be a mark in the center of the housing and the flywheel will have a set of marks in degrees on it with tdc at the beginning and it should have 1/6 marked on it. The turn wheel some more to 2/5 and then 3/4 marks on the wheel.This engine could be mismatched with parts.it happens.

• Like 1

glenn akers