I have a diesel start up question...

Personally,on a "cold start" (despite WHAT the temp. is) I start the engine,let it idle,do my walkaround,paperwork etc while warming up,i NEVER race the engine when cold EVER! but,i was taught old school,i've seen plenty of guys get in a truck and soon as it starts,floor the throttle building air pressure,if they worked for me,driving my equipment,it would be the first and last time they did it in my truck! Theres a video of a guy doing a cold-start on an R-Model on youtube,soon as it catches he floors it,i cringe everytime I see it!..........................Mark

Couldn't have said it better.

Well, I am in So Cal. where it doesn't get REAL cold. I idle until the oil psi gauge comes up, then set the cruise at about 800-900 RPM. I start moving around the yard as soon as the air tank is full, keeping the RPM low. Hook to my trailer and drive it easy, shifting early with a light throttle pedal until the temp gauge is up near normal. Then I drive it like I stole it. lol