Pinnacle Set Back As A Rv Basis

In my introduction, I mention researching the foundation for building what is generally referred to as a truck conversion RV. In simple terms, a class A sized RV, built on a semi-tractor in a manner similar to a class C. The body issues I have under control; I have been doing a bit of preliminary research with a sleeper maker with which I am familiar from my OTR days. The OAL will be just under 45', with the body being just under 35, depending on the tractor used.

In researching this, one of the finalists is a set back axle Pinnacle with an MP8 425E. The transmission will have to be the Fuller LHP, as my wife is small and has a bad back; clutch use would be a problem - and thus, the 425 is the highest rating we can use due to the torque capactity of the engine. She will not be a main driver, but would have to be able to move it in an emergency. Has anyone gotten a reasonable number of miles on such a tractor with an MP8 so I can assess the utility of this combination? How is dealer support? While there is a Mack dealer in Spokane, they are more on the contruction side (go figure). Since we are in the west, the speeds are higher, and specs will be different, but we have to be able to put up with the lower limits in places such as Illinois. It will of course be a 3 axle unit - I need the weight capacity of a tandem (air ride of course), although there is some appeal to a single screw with tag so the tag can be lifted in sloppy conditions.

Barry? Input from the service side?

:mack1:

Old truck drivers never die. We just smell that way.

Sounds like a really nice project. Why not use a rear self steering tag like coach buses do to enable you to turn tighter and still maintain the weight capacity? That should also help with fuel economy as there won't be that much drag on the drive line. Also if your looking for comfort spec the truck with the Hendrickson airtek front suspension. Also look into air disc brakes as they are easy to service and have better stopping power and fade resistance. Dont know if Mack could help you with air disc brakes but Meritor and Hendrickson do offer them.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Remember all new trucks including CXU/CHU models with MP-8 engines have the DPF exhaust filter which could pose a problem on a motor home conversion. The DPF needs plenty of room/ air flow around it. I wouldn't want to cover it up with side farings due to heat issues. I could be wrong but I have not seen a frame mounted DPF with side farings covering it up. The stand up DPF would be to /fat to use on a motorhome conversion I would think. This does not just apply to Macks but all 2008 trucks, can you say " thank you EPA" As far as the MP series engines we have had good luck with them so far, very few failures and no low power complaints. Our boss has had 2 motorhome conversions done, one was a 2001 CX613 with 460 hp and eaton autoshift, the other a 2005 CXN613 with 460P ASET with eaton autoshift. He sold the first one to fund the second one. Now he's talking about selling the second one and ordering a Mack Titan for the next conversion. He pulls Nascar type car trailers.

Remember all new trucks including CXU/CHU models with MP-8 engines have the DPF exhaust filter which could pose a problem on a motor home conversion. The DPF needs plenty of room/ air flow around it. I wouldn't want to cover it up with side farings due to heat issues. I could be wrong but I have not seen a frame mounted DPF with side farings covering it up. The stand up DPF would be to /fat to use on a motorhome conversion I would think. This does not just apply to Macks but all 2008 trucks, can you say " thank you EPA" As far as the MP series engines we have had good luck with them so far, very few failures and no low power complaints. Our boss has had 2 motorhome conversions done, one was a 2001 CX613 with 460 hp and eaton autoshift, the other a 2005 CXN613 with 460P ASET with eaton autoshift. He sold the first one to fund the second one. Now he's talking about selling the second one and ordering a Mack Titan for the next conversion. He pulls Nascar type car trailers.

I believe you can get a space saver DPF which is located under the passenger side of the cab. It has a heat shield etc. I know it's available on GU 7 Axle Forward, GU 8 Axle Back, and TD 713 Titan. As far as CXU, CHU I'm not positve of their offerings. That would alleviate any potential problems with a MP engine with the 2007 emmisions. You do want to order it before the next prebuy though, which will be for the new 2010 emmisions, which we're going to see another outrigger, etc for the SCR. But whatever you do decide, I find it easier to push a clutch in with the larger square pedal, that the one that has the rubber on it. You can get whatever option you want put on by the options center. If you are leary about it, get a hold of the New Vehicle Options center up at the Mack plant, in Macungie Pennsylvania, ask for Vic Sherbick (sp?) They do a good job at adding their options, if you want factory installed. Possibilities are almost limitless!