Code 6-2 6-3

Code 6-2:

Failure Mode Identifier (FMI): 0 (Data Valid, but Greater Than Normal), 1 (Data Valid, but Less Than Normal), 3 (Voltage High), 4 (Voltage Low), 5 (Current Low/Open), 8 (Abnormal)

Parameter Identification (PID): P103

Message Identification (MID): 128

Circuit Description: The Turbocharger Wheel Speed (TWS) Sensor is an inductive sensor. When the engine is running, the turbocharger shaft rotates past the TWS Sensor tip and a pulsed voltage signal is generated. The Engine Electronic Control Unit monitors the frequency of the signal generated by the TWS Sensor to calculate the turbo speed.

Code Setting Conditions: If the Engine Electronic Control Unit (EECU) detects an open, short to ground or short to voltage in the Turbocharger Wheel Speed (TWS) sensor signal circuit, the Electronic Malfunction Lamp (EML) will turn ON and blink code 6-2 will set. Code 6-2 will also set if the turbocharger wheel speed is not within the predetermined limits at a given engine speed.

Location: The Turbocharger Wheel Speed (TWS) Sensor is located on the right side of the engine, mounted in the turbocharger.

Normal TWS Sensor Parameters: The Turbocharger Wheel Speed (TWS) Sensor has a resistance of 638–1062 ohms.

Additional Symptoms: Power is reduced if the TWS Sensor signal indicates shaft speed in excess of 112,000 rpm at sea level or 120,000 rpm at 5000 feet (1524 meters).

Code 6-3:

Failure Mode Identifier (FMI): 8 (Abnormal)

Parameter Identification (PID): S250

Message Identification (MID): 128, 142

Circuit Description: The J1587 serial data lines are used as the standard communication link for on-board vehicle instrumentation and off-board service diagnostics and fleet management. The V-MAC® III control units broadcast data across the J1587 serial data lines to operate electronic instrumentation, the electronic gauge panel, and the Co-Pilot display, and to communicate with the ABS, Allison Transmission and Eaton Transmission control units, depending upon the vehicle model and options. The diagnostic computer communicates with the V-MAC® III control units through the J1587 Serial Communications Port.

Location: The Serial Communications Port is located under the dash, to the left of the steering column.

Code Setting Conditions: If either the Vehicle Electronic Control Unit (VECU) or the Engine Electronic Control Unit (EECU) loses communication through the J1587 serial data lines for more than 1 second, code 6-3 will set and the Electronic Malfunction Lamp (EML) will turn ON. The fault will become inactive if communication resumes for at least 1 second.

note-20.gif

If code 6-3 sets intermittently or is accompanied by other fault codes, check for secure connections at the 135 amp ground circuit breaker posts. The ground circuit breaker is located on the left side of the bulkhead.

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 4/13/2014 at 10:36 AM, turckster said:

Code 6-2:

Failure Mode Identifier (FMI): 0 (Data Valid, but Greater Than Normal), 1 (Data Valid, but Less Than Normal), 3 (Voltage High), 4 (Voltage Low), 5 (Current Low/Open), 8 (Abnormal)

Parameter Identification (PID): P103

Message Identification (MID): 128

Circuit Description: The Turbocharger Wheel Speed (TWS) Sensor is an inductive sensor. When the engine is running, the turbocharger shaft rotates past the TWS Sensor tip and a pulsed voltage signal is generated. The Engine Electronic Control Unit monitors the frequency of the signal generated by the TWS Sensor to calculate the turbo speed.

Code Setting Conditions: If the Engine Electronic Control Unit (EECU) detects an open, short to ground or short to voltage in the Turbocharger Wheel Speed (TWS) sensor signal circuit, the Electronic Malfunction Lamp (EML) will turn ON and blink code 6-2 will set. Code 6-2 will also set if the turbocharger wheel speed is not within the predetermined limits at a given engine speed.

Location: The Turbocharger Wheel Speed (TWS) Sensor is located on the right side of the engine, mounted in the turbocharger.

Normal TWS Sensor Parameters: The Turbocharger Wheel Speed (TWS) Sensor has a resistance of 638–1062 ohms.

Additional Symptoms: Power is reduced if the TWS Sensor signal indicates shaft speed in excess of 112,000 rpm at sea level or 120,000 rpm at 5000 feet (1524 meters).

Code 6-3:

Failure Mode Identifier (FMI): 8 (Abnormal)

Parameter Identification (PID): S250

Message Identification (MID): 128, 142

Circuit Description: The J1587 serial data lines are used as the standard communication link for on-board vehicle instrumentation and off-board service diagnostics and fleet management. The V-MAC® III control units broadcast data across the J1587 serial data lines to operate electronic instrumentation, the electronic gauge panel, and the Co-Pilot display, and to communicate with the ABS, Allison Transmission and Eaton Transmission control units, depending upon the vehicle model and options. The diagnostic computer communicates with the V-MAC® III control units through the J1587 Serial Communications Port.

Location: The Serial Communications Port is located under the dash, to the left of the steering column.

Code Setting Conditions: If either the Vehicle Electronic Control Unit (VECU) or the Engine Electronic Control Unit (EECU) loses communication through the J1587 serial data lines for more than 1 second, code 6-3 will set and the Electronic Malfunction Lamp (EML) will turn ON. The fault will become inactive if communication resumes for at least 1 second.

http://secureus.volvo.com/spubs/c/images/note-20.gif

If code 6-3 sets intermittently or is accompanied by other fault codes, check for secure connections at the 135 amp ground circuit breaker posts. The ground circuit breaker is located on the left side of the bulkhead.

I am still having this issue with my 1995 cl713 e7 427

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

Hey Bud, can you specify the issue.  The post is 6 years old and I think it would be helpful to have current info..  Lots of smart guys here to help you. jojo

Hi Jojo, you commented on my last post about my 1995 cl713 shutting down intermittently. Today it did it again and threw codes 6-2 and 6-3, exactly the same as it did 4 years ago. I let the truck sit for a couple mins with the key on, the electronic Malfunction light went out and it fired up. It doest ever start until the electronic Malfunction light goes out. 

So I looked at the wire diagram more and pulled of the fuse that sends power to the bosch (fuel injection control) module, turned the key on and had blink codes 6-2 and 6-3, identical to when it shuts off. So I figure I either have a junk module again or I'm losing power to the module. Given the fact that it's been fine for 4 years now acting up I'm leaning towards the module which pisses me off! 

Edited by Mack log truck