PTO/pump problems....

2stacksuperdog

Ok so the piston for the dump body went a little over a year ago. Everything was in working order besides that the piston sprayed oil everywhere. Anyways we had a new piston installed and they told us it had a little air leak.(the truck went through a Level 1 inspection the day before the piston went and they could only find a light out which was a ground problem). So we went up there and put air to the truck and their little leak turned out to be a BIG leak. They said the tank rotted out but we found a melted airline thats behind the tank so it probably got melted when they were cutting the old bolts. So we ended up bringing up a gas compressor and that got enough air in the to keep the brakes release to get it on our lowboy. the problem now is we can still only get the truck up to 75 psi with the truck itself and a air compressor on it. We know the PTO is going in because when you push the clutch in you can hear it go in. We've been working on this on and off since Sunday. I got under there tonight and manually put the pump[ into the "up" position and it still did not do anything. The pump started to smoke all of a sudden and we shut it off. Either the pump is shot or there is no oil getting to it. We tried it with the valve on the tank opened both ways but the company who put the truck together used a cheap valve form the hardware store in town. So what do you guys think? were gonna take the line off and see if we got oil to the pump and if we do looks like we'll be putting another pump on it. Replaced it 5 yrs ago. We got a used pump that we put on our R tractor that pulls a dump everyday and its better then the "new" ones. Shows the shitty quality these days.

Matt

Sounds like there's no oil to it or the pump isn't bypassing, it should never smoke. I have no idea what you have for a set up but if its a PTO mounted pump with two hoses, one suction line and one pressure line it should bypass internally if its in neutral and in lower it should bypass press line to suction line to return to tank. If they had the lines off replacing the cylinder they could be backwards and your suction reversed. More info or a pic would help but it should never smoke and should definitely not just quit working after a cylinder swap ID be calling that shop and having them fix my truck.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I'll let my dad give more info in the morning as he would know more but everything should be hooked correctly as the only line they took off is the one off the piston. ill try and get a pic tomorrow. We need to get the body up to fix the air leak they caused and dont want to know anything about. Thanks

Matt

Air operated PTO systems do not work until you reach 90psi. So if you have an air switch the gear will not seat until that pressure is reached. Gear turns the pump which pushes the fluid.

If your pump smoked, then you probably melted the o-rings in that shaft that you manually pushed in. Just remove the shaft and put new o-rings on.

Try getting 90psi to the pto and i think u are back in business.