Mack's Fuel Consumption

Once again my fuzzy little head is thinking about pumping sh%&, this time through 6" hose several thousand feet (1 to 3 miles or more). Current technological thought for Drag Hose systems is one pump per mile running at full tilt(john deere 8.1's turning at over 2300 rpm at a cost of about $68000. For a flow rate of around 1100 Gallons per minute. With out getting into to much technical detail about my needs, I would like to put a pump every half mile. and try to get up to 1800 GPM or more.

Now we have a basis for my big questions......

According to my pump curve charts, with the flows I want, and the head I will need to produce, I will need about 185 to 225 hp @ 1700 rpm at each pump.

How well will a mack e-7 or e-6 stand up to this kind of constant load for hours on end. What special cooling will I need to do if any, or will standard truck radiators work.

what I need to know is approximately how much fuel at that load I will use. and what kind of life expectancy I will get out of the engines. I have access to a few e-7 250's and 300's that were in MR's with auto tranny's.

An alternative engine I am considering is either an M-11 cummins or an L-10 (stc).

basically I'm going to build portable pumping units that will be hooked in series every 1/2 mile. I've got to determine what my fuel consumption will be for this operation, and what will be the most fuel efficent engine to use. any help would be appreciated!!

Here is picture of the current available pumps, mine will be built similiar to the shorter one only using mack or cummins engines

post-1247-1199244841.jpg

post-1247-1199244826.jpg

Once again my fuzzy little head is thinking about pumping sh%&, this time through 6" hose several thousand feet (1 to 3 miles or more). Current technological thought for Drag Hose systems is one pump per mile running at full tilt(john deere 8.1's turning at over 2300 rpm at a cost of about $68000. For a flow rate of around 1100 Gallons per minute. With out getting into to much technical detail about my needs, I would like to put a pump every half mile. and try to get up to 1800 GPM or more.

Now we have a basis for my big questions......

According to my pump curve charts, with the flows I want, and the head I will need to produce, I will need about 185 to 225 hp @ 1700 rpm at each pump.

How well will a mack e-7 or e-6 stand up to this kind of constant load for hours on end. What special cooling will I need to do if any, or will standard truck radiators work.

what I need to know is approximately how much fuel at that load I will use. and what kind of life expectancy I will get out of the engines. I have access to a few e-7 250's and 300's that were in MR's with auto tranny's.

An alternative engine I am considering is either an M-11 cummins or an L-10 (stc).

basically I'm going to build portable pumping units that will be hooked in series every 1/2 mile. I've got to determine what my fuel consumption will be for this operation, and what will be the most fuel efficent engine to use. any help would be appreciated!!

Here is picture of the current available pumps, mine will be built similiar to the shorter one only using mack or cummins engines

post-1247-1199244841.jpg

post-1247-1199244826.jpg

This is just a guess but here goes:

The common denominator you are going to need to consider is the amount of fuel consumed to do the task.

Figuring .8 pounds of fuel per horsepower, per hour, for consumption yields 20.5 gallons per hour at 200 engine horsepower dissipated. This figure of course is not perfect, but it is very close assuming 85% effenciency of a turbocharged diesel engine.

As far as cooling; If memory serves correctly, 200 engine horsepower can be sufficiently cooled with approximately 850 square inches, (minimum) with adequate airflow across the core. In this stationary application I feel you would need to upsize the heat exchanger, (radiator) by 1.5 to be safe as you have no "ram air" effect for airflow.

I size, install, and maintain stanby power generation units and the above information is based on my experience with them only. Cooling will be of a primary concern to fit such a large radiator and fan yet retain portability. It can be done, but costly it seems.

Good luck with the project!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.