Air compressor problems

tbone1983

I am desperate for help. It started with a failed power steering pump and am finishing up with an air problem. I ended up putting a new compressor on. The truck had a midland on it and all I could get was a bendix. The problem I have is there is a quick release that is leaking air. I replaced it thinking there might be some dirt holding it up but that didn't work. The truck wil not build any air at all.

It seems like it is somehow related to the foot valve. When I press it the sound of leaking air changes. The line right off the compressor feeds one side of the quick release. I think the top line of the qr goes to the foot valve and the othere side I haven't traced.

I know I didn't do a very good job explaining what is wrong but this truck has me exhausted. I can't beleive the luck I have had. The only thing that changed in the air system was the compressor... So I am at a loss.

The truck is a 1987 rd 686s with an e6 and a 6 speed. It is a tri axle dump truck if that makes a difference.

I really need a guru here I have to go to work monday. I have already lost 2 days dealing with a brand new defective power steering pump.

The Big Line on the Air Compressor goes to the Air Tank or the air dryer, there in no line to a quick release valve or foot valve. I the air governor bolts directly to the a/c, you have a feed line from the air tank and if air dryer on truck one line goes to the bottom of it to tell it to spit off. If the air governor is bolted on the fire wall it has one line to the compressor to the unloader valves. I don't understand the quick release valve you are saying from the air compressor? Could it be a air dryer or air governor?

by quick release do you mean a push lock air fitting? is it a 1/4" line? does the line go to the governor? Sounds like a governor issue soIm guessing the unloader line 1/4" line on the governor is leaking and it has to hold pressure to build air. Just out of curiosity did the truck build air ok before installing the new compressor? if so and you re connected the 1/4 line to the compressor that is routed to the governor (if its not mounted to the compressor) you may have gotten some trash in the line, wherever the governor is it has a 1/4" line from the tank telling it when to engage the unloaders in the head of the air compressor, once the pressure on the tank side of the governor drops to a point that the unloader pressure can move the spring loaded spool in the governor the pressure from the unloader line is bled out the exhaust port and the compressor buids air again until the pressure from the tank equals the pressure on the unloader side and stops again.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

(the compressor doesnt actually stop but the pressure on the unloaders from that 1/4" line keep the valves open so it doesnt build pressure, the compressor is running whenver the engine is) just to clarify for my sake my OCD got me there.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"