2005 Mack Vision Blowing Black Smoke

dlkkms

I have a 2005 Vision CX612 its smoking a lot of black smoke under acceleration seems to be worse at low speeds. It will smoke heavy until it clears out at road speed no big power lose and pulls fairly well under load boost pressure goes up to 25 to 30 and drops back. Truck has over 700k pulled front boot of front of turbo and is wet with black stick sludge in air cleaner tube. Not sure if this is causing problem. It also seems to puff out dark smoke going down the road.

Check for boost and exhaust manifold leaks first . Any leaks on these engines will cause issues . Any malfuction lite codes? Oil in the front side of Turbo is coming from air compressor intake piping and is normal for older trucks.

Check for boost and exhaust manifold leaks first . Any leaks on these engines will cause issues . Any malfuction lite codes? Oil in the front side of Turbo is coming from air compressor intake piping and is normal for older trucks.

the electronic log shows

128 14 - 5 MID 128 (Engine), SID 14, Injector Cylinder # 14, FMI 5, Current below normal or open circuit 1 128 3 - 8 MID 128 (Engine), SID 3, Injector Cylinder # 3, FMI 8, Abnormal frequency, pulse width,

the bolt comes on the dash once in a while also engine fan runs all the time I checked exhaust and boost hoses not seeing anything unless I'm missing something

you should be making more manifold pressure, like Staxx said check for leaks, you have some or your turbo she is a goin bad. The easiest is to get a spray bottle full of water with some dishwashing soap mixed in it and start the truck and use the cruise to set the idle at about 1000rpm then soak all the charge air connections and the intercooler with your water/soap mix, youll see bubbles somewhere, then all you gotta do is fix the leak, other than a possible bad injector or injector electrical signal issue that aughta fix your smoke and build more hp.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

wasnt done, oops! engine fan shouldnt run all the time either, seems you have a bad temp sender or A/C high pressure switch issue, does the fan go off if you turn the A/C off?

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

fan doesn't ever go off and havn't found any leaks yet but did pull ecm plug out and it was wet with oil???? the boost gauge is electronic but it always runs good and has power but the smoking is bad

Ecm plug full of oil normally = bad sensor ask Staxx he can give you the low down on the trouble sensor plug.

Check the low coolant sensor those are bad for leaking coolant into harness and following inside wires to module for engine also oil psi sensor /fuel psi but usually its the low coolant sensor on aset e-tec engines. You can try to clean module but if its real bad you will have to replace .

Check and see if your Fan clutch is a Behr fan....If it is its probably the fan clutch assembly. My 2005 Vision CXN would go through a fan clutch assembly every year and a half. The local dealers stocked at least 3 of them due to the high failure rates of that make....

Low coolant sensor is leaking into the connector, Checked the boost pop off valve it wasn't open but feels like the spring isn't that strong should I replace??? Cleaned the oil off the ecm connector. No exhaust leaks also fan electric piece moves with or without truck running

I would fix the coolant in the harness and module issue first . Most of the aset engines that blow black smoke was either boost leaks or exhaust leaks and low fuel psi . Once and while you get a egr valve issue or egr cooler dumping coolant into mass flow pipe , but that usually has other symptoms .

• 2 weeks later...

found one stud broken today on the exhaust manifold doesn't look like it's leaking but would this cause the smoking problem??? It would be a job to take all this apart for sure torch like every bolt and I'm sure nothing will come out of the headpost-15171-0-44085500-1374076646_thumb.j

There is a bulletin for the exhaust manifold bolts I can send you the link if you need it you change them to stainless studs and for the oil in intake pipe check your hose going to the air compressor there is a service bulletin on that to there should be a elbow facing towards the air filter if its not there or turned downstream towards tge turbo intake it will suck the oil out of the air compressor and send it through the turbo. Good luck