mp7 clutch fan

lugnut

I have a 2012 gu713 with mp7 it has the multi speed electric clutch fan.fan works on low speed engine temp fine at idle or low ROMs.under a load the high speed doesn't work and truck over heats....new fan $ 800.00 what I want to know is can there be anything else causing the problem such as a temp sensor?do I need to change the clutch fan? And all gauges in cab work fine no codes

Does it look like oil mist/leak on the front of the engine? These fan clutches leak oil and it blows on the front of the engine. There might not be a drop of oil on the fan clutch its self but the front of the head or valvecover will have a mist on oil on it. Then again sometimes they dont leak. The newest version/part# seem to be lasting alittle longer.

• 10 years later...

I’m having the exact same issue. Just replaced the fan clutch and the truck can operate but is still running hot. The only time the fan will kick on is in low gears with high rpms. Is there a sensor or switch that controls fan engagement based on temperature?

The engine ECM looks at the coolant temp and intake manifold temp and AC high pressure switch and commands the fan to engage. If you unplug the fan harness connector from the fan the fan should speed up/engage. Coolant thermostat and water pump and radiator clogged externally ( behind after cooler) is the more common over heating problems. Is this a farm use truck? 

As mentioned change it out to the air fan they are rubish! Do it once and be done with it! Chances are the new one will be kick right out of the box! Note you will have to have the program changed to suit the air fan!