king pin adjustment

Well I was doing some work on my dm and notice the front wheel seal was leaking so I jacked it up to check the wheel bearing for movement when I stuck a bar under the wheel to move it it moved a lot, so after looking at it while a old friend of mine moved the bar I found the movement was not in the wheel it was the king pins, so at this time I was throwing my hands up and thanking I was going to have to spend 3 or 4 hundred dollars on king pins and bushings when a older guy I know who has truck for years told me that macks have taperd king pins and they could be adjusted to take the slack out of them, he told me how to do it and also said that you had to whacth it because you could get them to tight. In about a hour it was good as new, I think all trucks should be this way it is a good idea

• Like 1

Well I was doing some work on my dm and notice the front wheel seal was leaking so I jacked it up to check the wheel bearing for movement when I stuck a bar under the wheel to move it it moved a lot, so after looking at it while a old friend of mine moved the bar I found the movement was not in the wheel it was the king pins, so at this time I was throwing my hands up and thanking I was going to have to spend 3 or 4 hundred dollars on king pins and bushings when a older guy I know who has truck for years told me that macks have taperd king pins and they could be adjusted to take the slack out of them, he told me how to do it and also said that you had to whacth it because you could get them to tight. In about a hour it was good as new, I think all trucks should be this way it is a good idea

too tight and it will steer hard and destroy the lower bearing that pushes up on the pin.

too tight and it will steer hard and destroy the lower bearing that pushes up on the pin.

yes that what I was told she still stears with one finger but I would say that I will have to replace them if I have this problem again I still have just a little slack on the drivers side

how did you tightened up the king pins? also could you explain how you would tighten up the wheel bearing.

thanks. good to know you have it fixed.

You should take the screw out and check the bearing . I have seen them destroyed from the smooth roads

well I didn't check the bearings but the drivers side was froze up after spraying it and warming up the cap screw with a few taps from a hammer they freed up good. You could be right about the bearing because it had a lot of slack in it.

how did you tightened up the king pins? also could you explain how you would tighten up the wheel bearing.

thanks. good to know you have it fixed.

all you have to do is get under the truck and on the bottem side of the king pin is a cap that looks like a big four way screw it has a big cotter pin in it that you have to pull out then just turn it to push the king pin up then reinstall the cotter pin and grease it good. As far as the wheel bearing mine was not lose all the slack was in the king pin. Bit if you have a lose wheel bearing you can tighten the spendal nut and that should do it I usually tighten it up good and tight then back it off while spinning the wheel till it spins good and free