1953 REO M48 6by

REOGasMackDiesel

I have a 1953 REO 6by my wife bought me for my last birthday. Truck has spent and great deal of time sitting or running in place. Its 60yrs old and has about 2,500 miles on it according to the odo and paper work.

I got it last fall so it only been ran for a total of 4 times twice before winter and twice now after winter. Seem to smoke a bit blue-ish smoke so oil. I was hope after a few runnings it would clear up, So far I'm not sure it will maybe it needs more run time on it. It don't smoke at idle its once you rev it up it smokes.

Parts seem limited for the REO-331 I6 gold comet engine, oil change and tune up stuff can be found yet. Starters, generators, fuel pumps, and carb kits are around. Engine rebuild stuff seems all obsolete. Not sire what oil has been ran through it over the years but I'm guess cheap crap.

Fires right up and runs great like a low mileage engine. Holds fantastic oil pressure 58psi idle and 63psi reved up.

Run it some more ? Change out the oil ? Try not to worry about and drive it ?

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

I have a 1953 REO 6by my wife bought me for my last birthday. Truck has spent and great deal of time sitting or running in place. Its 60yrs old and has about 2,500 miles on it according to the odo and paper work.

I got it last fall so it only been ran for a total of 4 times twice before winter and twice now after winter. Seem to smoke a bit blue-ish smoke so oil. I was hope after a few runnings it would clear up, So far I'm not sure it will maybe it needs more run time on it. It don't smoke at idle its once you rev it up it smokes.

Parts seem limited for the REO-331 I6 gold comet engine, oil change and tune up stuff can be found yet. Starters, generators, fuel pumps, and carb kits are around. Engine rebuild stuff seems all obsolete. Not sire what oil has been ran through it over the years but I'm guess cheap crap.

Fires right up and runs great like a low mileage engine. Holds fantastic oil pressure 58psi idle and 63psi reved up.

Run it some more ? Change out the oil ? Try not to worry about and drive it ?

Mike

The 331 Gold Comet is a good motor, the US Army called it 'The Zero Engine ' during the war, cause the bore and stroke are the same! I would just do like you said and you should have no prob. with it. I have never worked on one but my dad had a fleet of them in the REO's he had in the 50's they used them in stright trucks and light class 8 trucks and they would run for ever! But then they started to put them in 10 wheeler oil and garbage trucks and of course with a short stroke engine and all that weight, they started to throw rods out the side of them! But again it was no fault of the motor's ! call Adlemans truck parts in Ohio they handle a lot of army surp. stuff so they might point you in the right direction, Good Luck

BULLHUSK

• Like 1

Today I ran it a good hour instead of 15min, only seems to warm up about halfway and stops heating up. Idles fine no smoke at idle after 5 min idling, but give it some throttle and bring the revs up for a few seconds and it rolls blue ish white smoke. Maybe I need to keep reved up and see if it clears out after few min at higher revs next time ? !

It smells like engine oil, Maybe I should change the oil next go around ? !

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.

Blue smoke is oil but if it hasn't been run in a while, the seals maybe a bit dry. Start using it and everything should swell back up and the smoking will start to go away. This is common for any vehicle that has sat for a long time without use.

• Like 1

Oil looks decent, Coolant is a pink-ish color ? ! Never seen pink coolant before anyone else ?

Truck was owned by JK-Hackel transport for several decades so I'm sure this REO truck got 15w-40 oil of some kind and whatever coolant these newer rigs are running these days.

Oil change and coolant flush is on the list of things to do ;o)

Mike

1953 REO M48.

1962 GMC 3000.

1969 AMC AMX-390.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4.

1988 AMC Jeep Comanche.