Oil in air tank?

Doffer
Go to solution Solved by rsb502,

I am getting oil in my tanks when I bleed the air off over-night after work. Just a spirt of oil on the ground then just air. What causes this? seals in the Air compressor? How can I stop this from happening?

The truck just broke 500,000 miles

• Solution

I would guess its probably time to replace the dessicant cartridge in the dryer, when you start getting anything in the tank after the dryer, its a good bet the dryer is ready for some attention. Bendix recommends that all AD-9 and AD-IP style dryers get a purge valve rebuild and a new dessicant cartridge once a year or every 100k whichever comes first. Its overlooked by just about everybody since its out of sight, its out of mind but if you havent gone thru it in a year or two its time, AD9 will run about $120 for a cartridge and a purge valve kit and takes about an hour to do no biggie, just make sure to get the purge valve tight or it will back off and then youll have to do it again. Its also good incurance against ABS and quick release valve issues, those ABS valves dont like contaminants in the air theyll act a fool and youll get an ABS light if they get gummed up. Just my couple pennies there!

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I would guess its probably time to replace the dessicant cartridge in the dryer, when you start getting anything in the tank after the dryer, its a good bet the dryer is ready for some attention. Bendix recommends that all AD-9 and AD-IP style dryers get a purge valve rebuild and a new dessicant cartridge once a year or every 100k whichever comes first. Its overlooked by just about everybody since its out of sight, its out of mind but if you havent gone thru it in a year or two its time, AD9 will run about $120 for a cartridge and a purge valve kit and takes about an hour to do no biggie, just make sure to get the purge valve tight or it will back off and then youll have to do it again. Its also good incurance against ABS and quick release valve issues, those ABS valves dont like contaminants in the air theyll act a fool and youll get an ABS light if they get gummed up. Just my couple pennies there!

Thanks SuperDog, very helpful information. I just got my first order in today from Mack, I'll order that stuff tomorrow!

Fleetpride or another local parts place will be a lot cheaper than Mack on those parts and they are Bendix parts so more than likely any truck parts place has them in stock, you can get a purge valve kit for the AD-9 or a rebuilt purge valve and they are both within a couple dollars so if you dont want to have to do all the cleaning and re sealing its just 3 bolts and 3 O rings to replace it with a reman. The dessicant cartridge will more than likely have a core charge as high as the cartridge itself, youll need to put the take the top off of an AD-9 (8 bolts around the bottom) to get to it, its on top in the open on an AD-IP use a big filter wrench or chain wrench down near the base to get it loose and lube the oring with grease when you put the new one on. On the AD-9 two of the bottom bolts woll hold it on the truck, pull all the 8 larger bolts and loosen the clamp bolt up top and slide the assembly out the bottom and put the base in a vise using the bolt hole bosses, makes it much easier

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"