'09 mp-8 emmissions

bruiser

Just wanted to get some opinions on the motors of this generation of emmissions. Want to trade up but not all the way to a brand new one. 160k for new triaxle dump seems a bit too steep, 100k for something around '09-'10 does too but it would be manageable. Have '06 Volvo now pretty happy with it except egr valves every now and then.

Well, from what I know the years without the def system are terrible. You will put more miles driving to the dealer. The problem is the egr, the exhaust gasses are too hot so they burn everything. I know a few guys with them and they hate em, but the guys with the def system are having good luck.

They both will have the injector and cup failures, 07-12 could have double idler gear whine/failures (still early to see how the 13s do), plugged up egr coolers. I would say the warranty would be the deal maker or breaker. Warranty, Warranty, Warranty.

Volvo D12D egr problems are nothing compared to these.

I appreciate the replies, I was probably thinking along the same lines that this generation of emmissions is to be avoided. Even under warranty down time is money out of pocket. Probably wait another year or so to see if the def trucks are going to be reliable. ...I think I'll go buy a new pick-up for now.

Our 2011 has the def system and so far so good (only 87000 km). Only needed a parked regen twice (within 3000 km of each other, likely due to the amount of idling I do on sites shooting gravel etc.). However, a buddy runs an identical truck, only a 2010 with the dpf, and it has been replaced 5 times as of now. Not sure of his miles but he is all local. He and his boss are not impressed, as you can imagine. The dealer (same one I deal with) keeps giving them the runaround as to why.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....