Mack E9 Block

Why you got one for sale?

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

What was wrong with the rest of it I need some heads and valve covers, intakes, front cover, pump, pretty much whatever E9 parts you got I'll ponder on. I'll take an old power assy. Piston/rod/sleeve for my desk even.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

No sir there aint no truck attached to the motor. Engine was takin out of a 83 Super Dawg man told me he was replacing the ol E9 with an old Catawiller. I'm taking the heads and having all four completely rebuilt also I'm getting the fuel pump gone completely through. I'm thinking on selling them aint made my mind up yet. I believe in these ol E9's all I've ever been around.

I was told that the motor was bending push rods and thats why it was takin out but I'm still gonna tear it down and have the pump and the heads rebuilt and also check block for cracks. I've heard different reasons from a couple people have you had any dealins with an E9 bending rods?

Its probably bent valves or push rods, probably ran it hard and the seats popped out and bent the valves or push rods. That is the major E9 flaw, if you rebuild the heads let Dale Francis push the seats in harder than stock. I know there are a few on here that can vouch for Dale Francis's work on E9's.

Again if you rebuild the heads let dale francis press the seats, I wouldnt give much for em since I would just have to get em and take em back apart and do it again if that wasn't done. No point in not doing it right you the first time. Why don't you offer em for sale as they are first, then whoever gets em can rebuild them to their specs?

• Like 1

I would be careful selling a block that hasnt been checked/reconditioned. I would get it crack tested, check the liner seats/heights and sealing areas, and tunnel bore it. You want to make sure the caps are a tight fit and the same with the liners in the counterbore. All this can cost a few dollars to do it properly, but at least you know that you're selling a good unit. If you dont want to go down that path then its only worth a few hundred dollars, and the sale is like a lottery. It sounds like youre on the right track getting the heads checked out. If you sell serviced parts, then no one can argue on price or condition. And if you sell rubbish, even if you didnt know the parts were bad, then people remember for a long time. Its not worth giving yourself a bad name.

Good luck, let us know how you go. Skip

• Like 1

Skip I appreciate the input I agree a mans only got one name, you need to keep a good name if your gonna be in the part sellin and truckin business. Yea 84 Superdog I agree with you, you might as well do somethin right the first time especially dealing with E9s. Do you have any ball park figures on what them boys at Franciss engineering would charge to rebuild them heads? I know it would vary because of parts for each head but I was just lookin for ball park figures?

Thanks

Miller

Not a clue on price but the number is in my phone......Dale Francis engineering 440-254-4046.

Sounds about right, was that factory spec or extra strength pressed valve seats, I remember talking to them and hearing about 3 levels of head rebuild for an E9.