My custom R model stereo install

So i got a kenwood excelon head unit so far and the other thing i got was an alpine ktp 445. It basically is an amp that makes the speakers get at least 45 w rms. I still have to find a good 15-30amp spot to hook up the yellow wire that comes off the ktp and i still need to search for a ground. After talking to Superdog today he gave me the idea of getting 3.5 to 4 inch speakers in there in the front (my truck only came with rears) I went and got some 3.5 inch polks that put out 35 w rms and 105peak. Great little speakers!

So then i put the head unit in and the ktp and did a test fit where the speaker might fit. I kept in mind that when the sunvisor is flipped up it is about 5 3/4 inches and there is just barely enough room to mount these speakers. Good thing i didnt go with 4x6. After careful observation i realized it would be too tight and the magnet would too close to the headunit so i scratched that idea. So here is my new idea. Here are pictures to show you guys where i am thinking of making cuts with the dremel tool. I hope it works! It did not come with a template so i am just going to draw a circle around the speaker and make my own .

post-11750-0-96594000-1360386881_thumb.jpost-11750-0-54125600-1360386917_thumb.jpost-11750-0-41607400-1360386967_thumb.jpost-11750-0-96720100-1360387045_thumb.j

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

Have you considered mounting them in the doors? I don't know how much space is in there but if you could place them somewhere under the vent windows they would be far enough from the rear speakers and you'd get a better stereo effect than you would having them close together in the headliner.

Jim

They have products call "kick panels" which is an enclosure down by your feet for mounting speakers. They make them for most makes of vehicles but the problem will most likely be they don't make them for Mack trucks. I just mention it in case you want to Google the term and come up with a custom solution for you in that location.

• Like 1

I'd be slow about cutting that headliner there getting scarce and valuable.

Yep, still available at Mack but around $250 the last time I bought one. They're right up there with floor mats. Anytime I mount a radio in one of those, I always brace up the back with a piece of plumbers' tape bent into an "L" shape and a 1/4" bolt drilled through the plastic. Most of the old Macks I've been in that didn't have it braced up would usually end up with the radio flopping around, cracking the console, and ultimately, falling out in your lap. LOL

• Like 1

Jake

yeah i was wondering what to do with that. there is a plastic piece that came on there stock with a bolt or nut that went through there but it broke off when i took the stock radio out. my new radio that im installing has a bracket on the back of it. i thought of once i slide the radio in it will not move or bounce around. my last one didnt, however there is some weight on the back of it so i was going to stuff some weather stripping behind to lift it up a little. That stuff wont catch on fire from heat of a head unit right? I'm about to start marking off getting ready to cut (yikes) :blush:

7 years ago? I put in a Kenwood head, replaced the stock speakers in the rear top corners, and had 2 6x9's in boxes on the floor. It would BUMP. I took the 6x9's out a couple years ago because I needed some more room in the cab. It still sounds good. There ain't nothing better than some good loud tunes, an early morning load, light traffic and a clean Mack truck. Wait a minute, that's what I plan on doing in the morning. Truck will be dirty before I get out of Marengo if the roads don't dry off.-Brad

I have to get a better sound system in the B C R,I can't hear Merle Haggard until I shut the truck off! :whistling: I don't want to cut any holes in my pristine headliner though.I have a decent radio,decent speakers (floor mounted cabinets).Maybe an amp of some kind,huh? I think I need some serious Dynamat too!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I just went out to the garage and finished it all up. Turned the key, had the buzzer going for about 10 minutes but i didnt care, i was playing around with the new stereo and wow what a difference. I can actually tell its all amplified and that there is bass in there. Not a subwoofer type bass but more of a reverb and having the speakers right where i mounted them is perfect. I can fade the rear speakers to the right 4-5 notches then fade to the rear 2-3 and its perfect for where i am sitting. The loudness feature does even better. I think the stereo volume goes to 35 but at 26 its really loud but no distortion. Bass doesn't pop or distort when turned up too loud,

tI would have to say i am pretty happy with it

I just went out to the garage and finished it all up. Turned the key, had the buzzer going for about 10 minutes but i didnt care, i was playing around with the new stereo and wow what a difference. I can actually tell its all amplified and that there is bass in there. Not a subwoofer type bass but more of a reverb and having the speakers right where i mounted them is perfect. I can fade the rear speakers to the right 4-5 notches then fade to the rear 2-3 and its perfect for where i am sitting. The loudness feature does even better. I think the stereo volume goes to 35 but at 26 its really loud but no distortion. Bass doesn't pop or distort when turned up too loud,

tI would have to say i am pretty happy with it

Good deal!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA