M Drive or Allison

I've been told the MDrive would be perfect for a dump truck, but as Rick said, it's not offered in the Granite due to the agreement Mack has with Allison. You could get creative though and order a Pinnacle axle forward (CHU) as a chassis and do a dump truck that way, I've seen a few pop up on TruckPaper like that, but your not getting a true "vocational" truck that way.

I don't think an m drive would be a good fit for a dump truck, an Allison has smooth clutchless power application perfect for a dump truck, with an m drive you would never get the smooth low speed starts and back and forth operation needed in tight places, spreading rock, working with a paver/milling machine. I know people that tried auto shift manuals with centrifical clutches and they couldn't get the performance needed it was either disengaged or moving too fast, there's no slipping the clutch in LL to keep slow for milling/paving,the Allison is proven in off road use in thousands of refuse, concrete, and dump trucks all over the country.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I have driven a few M-drives and they are real smooth nothing like the eaton autoshifts way differant , allison is still king of vocational market and they are coming out with a new trans that will be a cross between the auto/manual trans so I have herd....

I have driven a few M-drives and they are real smooth nothing like the eaton autoshifts way differant , allison is still king of vocational market and they are coming out with a new trans that will be a cross between the auto/manual trans so I have herd....

That one will be the ALLISON TC10-TS automatic that will be available on TRACTOR TRUCKS (hence the "TS" designation, it goes for TRACTOR SERIES. It is a TWIN COUNTERSHAFT unit with TORQUE CONVERTER (hence the "TC" designation) 10 Speed AUTOMATIC for tractor trucks.

"The new Allison TC10 TS is ideal for distribution applications where a tractor-trailer splits its work cycle between city and highway conditions. The full-power shifts bring productivity and fuel efficiency to stop-and-go portions of a route, while the 10-speed-countershaft architecture offers fuel economy while cruising".

http://www.allisontransmission.com/commercial/transmissions/tractor//

As of earlier this month, the M-Drive was still unavailable in the Granite, according to the local salesman. The ones on TruckPaper are missprints. If you notice, they are all from the same dealer, Nuss Truck & Equip., and if you look at the interior photos, they have Allison shift pads.

without a torque converter I doubt an Mdrive would be right for a dump truck I know I used to have to creep off road and while paving/milling I havent driven one yet but I dont see how you could get that slow speed performance with a centrifical clutch. I think an M drive in a road truck would be great though, that or a Mack 18 speed and MP8 505 with 3.65rears for me if I was to order a new CH.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"