R773ST road speed

I have a 1968 R773ST nearing completion of full restoration, year 1968 original Detroit 318 8v71N coupled to original eaton RTO913 with .87 top gear, The rear end is 44,000 lbs with a 4.50 ratio. Anybody out there had a similar truck who can tell me what top speed to expect?

You'll need to have the tire size to do the math, but according to the Roadranger website, you should be around 64 mph with 11x22.5 tires. of course there are other factors that will affect your speed, but that should be a ballpark number. The equation is at the bottom of the page in case you want to do the math with specs not listed on the site.

I couldn't copy/paste the direct link. Go here and click on Road Speed Calculator:

http://www.roadranger.com/rr/CustomerSupport/Support/Calculators/index.htm

Jim

I have an E9, rtx14609b .74 OD and 4.64 rears with 11r 24.5 tires and I run about 1600 rpm at 60 so I just ride there I ran it up to 70 one day but it was wound too tight for me I was just curious.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I have a 1968 R773ST nearing completion of full restoration, year 1968 original Detroit 318 8v71N

Its to bad you're not on this side of the pond. Jumper and Son would be your biggest fans with that Driptroit in there!

Ben

1962 B733 L cab

I have a 1968 R773ST nearing completion of full restoration, year 1968 original Detroit 318 8v71N coupled to original eaton RTO913 with .87 top gear, The rear end is 44,000 lbs with a 4.50 ratio. Anybody out there had a similar truck who can tell me what top speed to expect?

Going to depend on how tight you want to wind that noisy bastard.

Thanks to all who responded, all working trucks over here (whole of Europe) have speed limiters with a maximum speed of 56 mph, but this does not apply to historic or classic trucks so I am looking forward to burning past a lot of envious drivers.

Incidentally David, my other noisy bastard (see FTF in recent gallery posting) 12V71 is flat out at 40mph, We tend to transport it any serious distance but this year it has been driven on several long runs including a trip over to the Mack and special transport show in Amsterdam Netherlands. (Ear protection recomended for long distances)

Geoff.

• Like 1

I will post pictures as soon as its completed (a few weeks)the hood as we speak is still in the paint shop and the cab is going back on this weekend.

I bought the truck from Bob Connolly in E Northport Long Island NY back in 2008, it was sold new to Island Sand ∧ Gravel Hicksville NY in early 1969 and I think it has been around New York all its life.

I never intended to completely restore it as it was quite tidy but it got damaged during unloading in Liverpool so it could not be used (hood was the main problem as I could not find a good used one anywhere)you probably know the 700 is a long hood.

Lack of time due to other projects meant that it had to wait its turn and I have only got to working on it full time in the last 6 months, it has had the full treatment and I cant wait to hear it growl again. I have fitted twin 5inch chrome stacks which I have shipped over from Iowa80 with internal muffler inserts (if you can call them that) and also fitted a used Jake Brake kit which I located in Holland so it should sound pretty mean!

Edited by R773

I will post pictures as soon as its completed (a few weeks)the hood as we speak is still in the paint shop and the cab is going back on this weekend.

I bought the truck from Bob Connolly in E Northport Long Island NY back in 2008, it was sold new to Island Sand ∧ Gravel Hicksville NY in early 1969 and I think it has been around New York all its life.

I never intended to completely restore it as it was quite tidy but it got damaged during unloading in Liverpool so it could not be used (hood was the main problem as I could not find a good used one anywhere)you probably know the 700 is a long hood.

Lack of time due to other projects meant that it had to wait its turn and I have only got to working on it full time in the last 6 months, it has had the full treatment and I cant wait to hear it growl again. I have fitted twin 5inch chrome stacks which I have shipped over from Iowa80 with internal muffler inserts (if you can call them that) and also fitted a used Jake Brake kit which I located in Holland so it should sound pretty mean!

Wow. Whenever there is a discussion of R773's I think of Island Transportation, a fuel hauling company from Long island. It's ironic that although you're from the UK, your truck came from Hicksville which is the next town over from Westbury and where Island was based when I was a kid.

Jim