cracked exhaust manifold 1999 e7

dkv411

1999 ch613 460 e7 im running higher than normal egt's and have a sucking sound while running 20#'s or higher boost visually the only thing i found is a crack in the center section will this cause what is seeming like a charge air cooler failure? Also wil i hurt my engine if its not repaired right away?

Edited by dkv411

EGT's shouldnt get much higher with an exhaust manifold crack, maybe a piece missing, is there any exhaust soot around the crack? is the crack open enough to feel exhaust blowing thru at idle? I doubt it is the sound you hear, get a spray botle with soapy water and idle the truck up to about 1000rpm go spray every piece of intake piping and all connections looking for bubbles should be pretty easy to see you can do the same to the charge air cooler, I would say its a boost leak leading to higher EGT's the engine is trying to work harder and not getting the air needed to keep the temp down, E7 460's move just enough air to keep the EGT down with the stock turbo with everything in good condition.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

It is cracked all the way to the Turbo flange i did the piping and connection from the charge air cooler and around the mounting points on the right side where i have bumper damage from a deer hitting me last night it was a fawn or doe no antlers

Also check intake at air compressor and the steel piping behind the engine I find these leaking all the time if you can make or barrow a blockoff plate and pressure check whole system would be best thing to do and replace manifold with all new studs nuts gaskets.

Just picked up $500 dollars worth of parts here in Stevens point wi 1 center section all new studs and gaskets and got my buddy to come in and open his shop on Saturday and hang around if i screw it up. So much for a day off this week but it'll be fixed and the air 2 air completely checked with probably new hoses and clamps on it as well.

IMPORTANT!!!!!!!

When replacing the studs, be sure you have no less than 1.75 inches showing.

Also, put a small dab of hi-temp RTV on threads before inserting into block

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

That sucks if you heat them up with a torch they usaully will come apart but I have had a few break after a couple of million heat cycles they get weak I guess the exhast studs if you look in the bottom stud holes in the head they go all the way threw to the back side you can actually see the push tube in there, thats why you dont want to install them to deep and to use some silicone .

• Like 1