New Harness Or Rebuild

Guys, I have a 1960 B-68X (converted to 673 with 12 volt) that has been off the road for probably 10 years. the wiring is virtually non existant. It appears that there are various places to order complete harnesses but a buddy of mine says.."why bother- its simple" . this thing was built as a dump and that is what it will be.

Is the time savings offered by going the harness route worth the $$$??

Any thoughts?

I spent a lot of time rewiring Dad's truck, every wire in the truck was replaced, it was not that bad to do other than the time it takes to do it right. Time was cheaper than buying a new harness, but if you need it done fast I would buy a harness.

I couldnt imagine there are that many wires to replace. I plan on rewireing my truck myself instead of spending 1300 on a harness. Just as long as you take your time and right everything down so you know now and you know later on down the road should the need arise.

I like the harness approach. It is not that expensive (+/- 1,000.) and will have all of the correct connectors, wiring diagram and wire sizes included.

A lot of people will disagree - but I really don't like electrical fires, and I hate it when the lights go out at night in the middle of nowhere.

I'm sure there are others, but the guys at "Top of Hill" Mack restorations produce a really nice harness set-up that consists of all three harnesses involved in the B series cab. You can also buy only the harness that you need for less money. And they will wire it for your battery configuration, with or without the series parallel switch.

You'll find their ad in ATHS Wheels of Time magazine. And they might have a website - I'm not sure.

In any case - have fun,

Paul Van Scott

Guys,

thanks for your replies. I'm just getting into this and am trying to come up with a game plan- and a budget. Idid have 1300 bucks in mind as harness number but Paul I note you comment on Top o"the Hill. I will check them out. I have buddies who say- "no big deal". It won't be if I can get them to do it!

for the amount of wire in these cabs its not a huge deal to re wire them up. think about it. new guages would have back lit lights on each one or use the old guage where one bulb lights up 2 guages. you have an amp or alt guage/ fuel/water temp/lights/marker lights/ turn signals/ start switch and a few others. to start get a painless wiring fuse panel http://performance.alternatefuelsracing.com/painless.html (12-CIRCUIT UNIVERSAL FUSE BLOCK # 30001) and run the wire your self. I feared if I bought an aftermarket harness that The lenghts would be incorrect and if I had to add soemthing to the truck later there were going to be stray wires anyway.

just my .02

trent

for the amount of wire in these cabs its not a huge deal to re wire them up. think about it. new guages would have back lit lights on each one or use the old guage where one bulb lights up 2 guages. you have an amp or alt guage/ fuel/water temp/lights/marker lights/ turn signals/ start switch and a few others. to start get a painless wiring fuse panel http://performance.alternatefuelsracing.com/painless.html (12-CIRCUIT UNIVERSAL FUSE BLOCK # 30001) and run the wire your self. I feared if I bought an aftermarket harness that The lenghts would be incorrect and if I had to add soemthing to the truck later there were going to be stray wires anyway.

just my .02

trent

Trent, thx for the tip