Some truck-related vacation pics

post-1729-0-51571500-1343478875_thumb.jpThe family and I vacationed this past week on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We have been going there for years, staying with an old family friend who lives there year-round. He is a retired Batallion Chief of the Camden NJ Fire Department. They live in Avon, which is on Hattaras Island, about 6 miles north of Cape Hattaras and the Cape Hattaras Lighthouse (which was moved a few years ago by the way, if you are boored and have nothing better to do one night, google "Cape Hattaras Lighthouse Move.")

On Wednesday, we ventured down to Ocracoke Island. To get there, one takes NC Hwy 12 all the way to the end of Hattaras Island, and then you take a 45 minute ferry ride over. The island is about 9.3 sq miles with only a small portion (Ocracoke Village) being populated, and even then only about 950 residents at that. They rely heavily on year-round (but especially summer) tourism. There is a bar/pub on Ocracoke called Howards Pub that is world famous, and the wife and I love their blackened tuna sammiches that they serve with a special dill tartar sauce.

The residents and businesses naturally rely on trucks to get them their goods and services. Here are some pics I thought everyone would like.

First shot is one of the ferries coming into Hattaras while we wait for an outbound. You can see two trucks on board.

Second and third shots- the two rigs coming off the ferry.

Fourth shot- a Freightliner condo with a pup hauling furniture is guided onto the ferry by the deckhands. These guys work seven 12-hour days and then have seven days off.

Fifth shot- another view of the Freightliner with cars stacked around it. They really stack em tight and maximize a lot of space. But they also have to leave some room for everyone to walk around.

Sixth shot- my Chevy Silverado on the left- The one that Yarnall might call "the burgundy streak."

Seventh shot- on the return trip. What can Brown do for you? Deliver your packages to the island via ferry!!! Also a lumberyard truck from Kitty Hawk coming back from making a delivery. Kitty Hawk is about 70 miles all the way up NC Hwy 12 and 158.

Eighth shot- inside the passenger lounge, where you can go to get out of the heat. I'd like to have the air conditioning in here for my entire house. I swear the vents had icecicles hanging from them.

Last one- just a random deck shot.

If anyone ever has the opportunity to visit the Outer Banks I highly reccomend it, and I am sure anyone who has been there would agree.

post-1729-0-45336900-1343478987_thumb.jp

post-1729-0-96474000-1343479040_thumb.jp

post-1729-0-51452100-1343479080_thumb.jp

post-1729-0-51069600-1343479164_thumb.jp

post-1729-0-42112600-1343479243_thumb.jp

post-1729-0-35099000-1343479327_thumb.jp

post-1729-0-65694800-1343479468_thumb.jp

post-1729-0-50650500-1343479572_thumb.jp

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

My family rents a house on the banks up in duck every year. They are down there right now as we speak. I didn't make the trip as I'm still not feeling strong enough, but the outer banks is very beautiful. We have been down to hatteras lighthouse on several occasions. I'll have to get my daughter to down load some pics. Hope you enjoyed your trip this year and had a relaxing time. Mike

Mike ask your daughter if she has taken the kids to the North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoake Island...Many folks dont even know about the place. It is a great and cheap way to blow a few hours on a rainy morning or afternoon. Roanoake Island is about 45 mins south on 158 from Duck. Tell her to go south on 158, follow the signs for Roanoake Island, cross the bridge and go to the first traffic light and make a right. Then go about 2-3 miles, follow the signs for the airport and the aquarium and you'll make a left eventually. They always have something going on for the little ones that adults enjoy also.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Lmao we've been there twice already. Never gets old. We usually combine that with an airplane ride next door at the airport. Took my dad for a biplane ride last year.that was fun. My wife and daughter went kayaking on the alligator river last year ,said they had a great time. They are planning on visiting bodie island lighthouse this year. Said something about going hang gliding off the dunes at kitty hawk this year. Thang our good lord for good insurance lol