Spring ride to Air ride.

slpwlker

Wondering if it is possible to convert a spring ride rear to air ride? Can it readily be done or is there alot of modification needed to make it take an air spring. Seriously considering yanking the 2 speed rears out as they have been nothing but a pita for me. and putting in a set of 52k rears. Problem is truck is air ride and the 52's are some sort of spring.

• 3 weeks later...

The axle housing has suspension perches welded on it, they are different for different types of suspension so the key is do you want to try to cut and grind them smooth then try to find the right perches and weld them back on? I dont know what kind of suspension you are talking about(there are several) and the air ride will have the axle mounted to a spring with a bushing up front bolted to the hanger and in the rear the air bag, these are normally u bolted to the top of the axle. Spring ride suspensions can be mounted one of a hundred ways just depends on the type.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Probably just gonna yank the 2 speed rears out and put single ratio's in. Or find an airride set of 52's with the cross locks. not really looking to cut grind and convert. Time would be of the essence to get back out on the road. Want to go to a 4.33 but if I take 1 chunk out at a time gonna have to stick with 4.11's and block off the air switch to the range control. i already have 46's just trying to upgrade I have been getting into more mountainous and getting into a mine every now and then. Also looking into a bigger trailer and want to make sure I do not snap an axle dragging something up in a mine when grossing 180k plus.

Im surprised 4:11's arent steep enough to pull a trailer, what do you have for a transmission, what about tires? I pulled a dump trailer quite a while on 3:86 rears its still pulling one actually.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Yeah Eatons

4.11's do good no complaints really definatley none on the low end. more looking to get up the hill just a tad easier. and keep the motor more in the power range a little longer. Running a 3406E 600 Cat with an RTLO20918B trans. When I want to get away from someone I can usually give them a good run

I would never take the two speeds out.

They are a pain in the ass. I don't use them much and when I do I always have a problem somewhere. The front drive has been out 3 times and the rear is coming out asap. I found out what my bang was on sunday when the truck started acting funny this evening. Lock the rears in no problem. Gonna take the axles out and cover the holes. And take the small driveshaft out. lock them in and drive home. I use the low range on the rears ever few months. Or would like to put a 4.33 or 56 for the low side and 3.55 in the high for empty runnign and legal work. Get my fuel mileage up higher. Would like to take them out and put in a 2 or 3 speed auxillary.

with an 18 speed low range overdrive trans you cant get enough gear ratio? I dont know but I never used all the gears in my old 12 speed .